Are you with Silvio right now?

She thought of not answering, but he would take that as much of an answer as not saying anything at all.

So she paced around the room, answering truthfully.

As truthfully as she could answer, using proper grammar and spelling compared to her usual texts.

Silvio needs some time to himself. He feels bad about what happened to you. He needs to think.

There was a brief hesitation, and then the little eclipses symbol appeared on the screen as he started texting back.

Jane held her breath for that part.

I don't know what he said to you, but I'll talk to him.

That didn't make her sudden anxiety any easier to deal with.

Talk with him about what? Everything's fine.

She waited for his reply, not at all encouraged when it came.

I'll talk with him.

Jane groaned. She grabbed one of the pillows off the bed and bit down on it, if only to have something muffle her voice when she screamed.

Derrick knew. He knew there was a problem and he wanted to do something about it. He wanted to help her, and she didn't know if there was anything to help.

She didn't know if there was anything to salvage here when Silvio was the one who walked out.

But only because he was blaming himself for what happened.

Maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Derrick had a talk with him. It might knock some sense into the idiot.

Her phone buzzed again. Jane was almost scared to look at the message.

NM. Silvio says everything is fine.

She didn't understand that at all.

What do you mean? What did he say?

Again with the little eclipses symbol. It appeared and disappeared a number of times before the response finally came in.

I'll talk with you later.

Jane rolled her eyes. She hated this. Why couldn't the men around her stop being so secretive? For once. That was all she asked for.

Is this something dangerous?

The response came instantly this time, so Derrick didn't need to think about what he was saying the same way he did a second ago.

No.

Well, at least that was a relief, not that it stopped her from being annoyed.

If it was nothing to do with Greg, then why couldn't he say anything?

She texted him back, asking for more information, but of course, the asshole decided to ghost her.

Dickhead.

She was happy he was all right, but Derrick was an asshole.

She debated how many texts she was allowed to send him before it got weird when her phone rang.

She almost dropped the phone, her heart rocket launching and then exploding in her throat at the sight of Silvio's name.

She couldn't see herself, obviously, but Jane could imagine her eyes cartoon bulging almost right out of her head at the sight.