Chapter 41

The Beta spluttered, green eyes wide as he tried to babble out some sort of excuse before Marcel silenced him with a raised hand, chuckling softly.

"You should've seen your face!"

The Beta's fearful expression darkened to annoyance, before he huffed and crossed his arms.

"T'at's not funny Marcel."

"On the contrary, if I wasn't supposed to be serious I would be laughing."

Nogla looked up from his pout, shifting in his chair at Marcel's smile and sharp eyes.

"What's t'is all about? Why can't I have any breakfast?"

"Nogla! My old friend,"

Marcel leaned forward, weaving his fingers together and resting his chin on them. His notebook and notes were tucked between his elbows,

"How long have you worked at the gang?"

Nogla cocked a brow at the question.

"I've been part a' da gang since before ye were!"

"Right, but how long?"

"I dunno, four years since we joined Ev'n an' Brock."

Marcel nodded, still not taking his head off of his hands,

"And are you in a relationship with anyone?"

Nogla's eyes widened slightly, and a dark blush inched up his cheeks and ears.

"I- uhm- I a-asked L-Lui out yesterday..."

"Aw!"

Marcel cooed, allowing his smile to grow wider. He wanted the Beta to feel relaxed, like he wasn't taking in every detail about his body language and storing it to save for later in the interrogation. However, the deer doubted the Beta was any good at lying, knowing how the Beta felt about lies and how harmful they could be.

Marcel wondered if Nogla knew how often Lui lied to him about the Canaries.

"So are you two together now?"

Nogla turned a darker shade of crimson, but nodded, and Marcel gave the Beta a wide smile.

"Well, congratulations! I'm happy you two finally stopped dancing around each other."

Nogla scoffed, his blush already receding as he retorted,

"At leas' I'm not as bad a Ev'n an' Jonathan."

"Speaking of,"

Marcel bridged, glad Nogla was able to get them on topic fairly quickly,

"Do we have any reason to suspect you for attacking Jonathan?"

Nogla was quiet for a long time before he sighed.

"Is t'at what all a' tis is for?"

"Answer the question, Nogla."

"Of fohkin' course not! An' nobody else did it either!"

Marcel cocked an eyebrow at Nogla's statement, the Beta again huffing in his seat. Lowering his arms and picking up his notebook, Marcel pressed,

"Care to explain?"

"A' course I will! If one of us was the one who attacked him, wouldn't t'ey've done it again? The base has been silent fer weeks!"

It was Marcel's turn to be quiet. The Beta had a point. The Alpha glanced at the sheet of questions before scratching down Nogla's thoughts.

He wasn't doing this to get persuaded one way or the other, he wanted facts.