Chapter 14

Jonathan collapsed onto his bed, his sigh turning into a scream on the comforter. The flash of memories behind his eyelids had faded as he came up the stairs, but the emotions still lingered.
Luke's campfire scent clung to Jonathan's jacket, the warm smell the only thing keeping Jon from slipping back into memories about James.
"Fuck..."
Jonathan mumbled under his breath, sitting up and staring at the carpet. He pulled his knees to his chest and inhaled deeply, trying to drown in the campfire smell. The slight sweetness of Ohm' cinnamon and sugar scent was dusted on his jacket as well, maybe a milk and cherries from Smitty.
Still none of his own though.
He could identify all of his friends, and yet still couldn't find himself.
Jonathan let out a dry laugh.
Sounded so fucking cliché.

Sighing, Jonathan stood.
He should probably go back downstairs, go apologize for leaving so abruptly. As he took a step forward, his foot met a prick.
"Ow!"
Looking down and yanking his foot away, Jonathan saw some sunglasses.
He frowned, and picked them up.
"Sunglasses?"
Who wore sunglasses?
Dumb question. Everyone wore some at some point.
But who wore these glasses?
Jonathan turned the expensive-looking glasses around in his hand.
I know I've seen these before. And the only one who wears sunglasses almost religiously is Brock.
Maybe they're his?
Jonathan shrugged, then gently tucked them into his hoodie pocket.
No harm in asking around.

As Jonathan began taking slow steps down the stairs, the ping of a video game being paused sounded, and a solo voice spoke.

"I'm sorry, what?"
Brock.
"Please, Brock. We've known each other for years. I don't want any lies, just the truth."
Evan?
What were they talking about?
Jonathan quickened his pace, making sure to stay as silent as possible as he hit the tile floor.
Everyone's eyes were on Evan who was standing next to the table, his eyes on Brock.

"Evan, I'd never attack Jonathan, you know that!"
Jon's heart skipped a beat.
They were arguing over him?
And why Brock? He wasn't a Canary, he didn't even have antlers!
Jonathan didn't seem to be the only one who thought that, as Tyler stood from the couch and took a few steps toward the distressed Alpha.
"Evan, I thought we figured out the attacker was-."
"Wrong."
Evan snapped, turning to look at the taller.
"I found these in the closet."
He held up one of his hands, revealing the false antlers.
"What?"
Everyone asked.
It was silent for a long time, but when Jonathan looked at Evan the Alpha's expression was unreadable.
"So it's an Omega?"
Marcel asked finally, his gaze turning toward Craig who he was sitting next to.
"All of you, against the wall! Jon, come here."
Tyler snapped, pointing at the wall beside Jonathan.
Nobody moved for a few heartbeats, until Jonathan slowly walked toward Tyler.
Brock was the next to move, then Craig, Ohm, and Smitty.

Evan moved in front of them, Jonathan behind him next to Tyler.
"I don't want to do this,"
Evan began, his voice low and eyes dark.
"But I want to hear the truth. Craig,"
The pigeon-wing looked up from his hands, trying to hide the tremble in his fingers.
"Where were you that night?"
"I-in my room. L-like a-always."
Evan nodded, then moved on.
"Ohm,"
"I was writing in my journal,"
The dove-wing answered quickly, his hazel gaze on the floor.
Evan nodded without another comment.
"Smitty,"
"I was...I was just coming back from John's room."
The other dove-wing kept flicking his eyes between Evan and the floor, before finally settling on the ground.
Evan paused a moment before moving on.
"Brock,"
"I was reading To Kill a Mockingbird."
Brock held Evan's gaze, but there seemed to be some hesitation in his eyes.
Evan didn't move.
"The truth, Brock,"
He said as calmly as he had addressed the others. The eagle-wing stiffened in disbelief.
"I am telling the truth, Evan! Why are you so sure I'm lying?"
"This is why, Brock!"
Evan held out his open hand, two small keychains in hand.
Brock seemed to freeze.
"Wh-where..."
The Omega stuttered uselessly, but when he reached for the keychains Evan pulled them back toward his chest.
"I found it in the closet under the stairs. The same place the attacker hid."
Brock blinked at Evan for a moment before the Omega's gaze hardened.
"Evan, it was in my room! I don't know how-"
"Shut up, Brock!"

Jonathan's wings twitched involuntarily, the same thing happening to the other Omegas.
Brock, however, slammed his mouth shut as he stared hopelessly at the Alpha in front of him.
"Evan, I think that's enough. If he's still denying then-"
Brian had placed a hand on Evan's shoulder to calm him, but the Alpha only pulled away from him.
"Then we put him away until we get more proof."
Evan finished, glaring at Brian. Brian blinked before snarling,
"Evan, we all know Brock wouldn't lie about this!"
"No Brian, we don't know. And if he won't tell me on his own will, I'm not using an Alpha Command to hear it."
The room was silent for a moment, before Evan looked at Tyler.
"Take Brock to the cells. I'll deal with him later."
Brock's eyes widened, but he didn't open his mouth to protest.
"Y-yes sir...."
Tyler mumbled, quickly grabbing Brock.
"No! Leave him alone! You don't know anything!"
Brian yelled, catching Tyler's sleeve and restraining him from taking Brock.
"Brian, let him go."
Marcel growled, his eyes uncertain but tone confident.
"Wha-? No! Let-"
"Go...Brian..."
The weak croak came from Brock, blood trickling out his nose as he look at the Alpha desperately.
Brian paused, then took a step back before running upstairs.

Tyler quickly lead a stumbling Brock downstairs, and Evan disappeared into his office.
The rest of the guys seemed to attempt to resume their games, but eyes were hooded and smiles drained.
"Hey, Jon."
Jonathan turned to see Smitty, the Omega running a thoughtless hand through his hair.
"Hey..."
"You okay? I never thought Brock would do that..."
Jonathan sighed, casting a glance at the stairs that led down.
"I...I guess."
Smitty nodded then said,
"What's in your hand?"
"Hm?"
Jonathan turned his hand around to see the sunglasses, then said,
"Right. I found these in my room."
Smitty took the glasses gingerly, turning them over with delicate fingers.
"You said you found these in your room?"
Jonathan nodded.
"They look like they're Brock's..."
Smitty trailed off, before suddenly shoving back into Jonathan's hand.
"You might want to leave them with Evan or on the counter."

Jonathan watched Smitty as the Omega hurried off, brushing John with his wing before whispering something.
Tyler was hugging Craig, the Omega mumbling something.
Ohm was speaking softly to Luke, glancing at the Alpha every few moments.
Brian disappeared down the stairs.

Jonathan turned, looking at Evan.
The Alpha was starting at the keychains in hand before shoving them into his pocket.
He glanced up at Jonathan, then disappeared into his office.

What's happening?
Jonathan thought, looking around as the small groups huddled closer together.
What did I do?