Chapter Twenty Seven

The proverbial dust has settled from the major loss of Dendera, the resistance knows full well that Dendera transitioned power to Serah and even though they know it is hers by rite, they struggle with it. Thaddeous however, is loyal as per Dendera's last wish and because he calls Serah friend.

Harkyn and the rest of the O'Leary's are slowly coming to terms with his new vampirism but Immy finds it hard to forgive herself for turning him. In the month since the death of Dendera the resistance has had time to think and lick their wounds but on this day Immy and Serah sit in the underground garage. They lounge in a 1967 Ford Mustang, fastback, it's cherry red. Immy sits behind the wheel with Serah in the passenger seat. They look around at the fleet of various vehicles consisting of SUVs, trucks, cars both modern and classic and vans of various sizes.

"When I was younger back in the day, around the time I met your dad... I had one just like this." Serah says as Immy runs her hands across the steering wheel.

Immy stays silent but smiles lost in her own thoughts.

"Well it was black, but yeah same one. You know, it was the one I taught your dad to drive in." Serah continues.

This peek's Immy's interest, "Wait wasn't dad old? You mean he didn't learn to drive?"

Serah laughs, "Nope, didn't have a clue. I mean he did have you know... shadow walking so I figure he never saw the point of driving. So yeah, it gave us an excuse to hang out and spend time together, we got to know a lot about each other on those back roads." Serah replies reminiscing out loud.

"Mom, will things ever be the same again, can we ever go home?" Immy asks in a sad tone.

Serah looks at Immy and shakes her head, "Honestly Immy... probably not. We have lost so much, and Dendera's sect looks to me now and I'm not even sure what to do."

"Why though mom, why is this on you, why is this your responsibility?"

"Because Immy, I am a natural born vampire, we are created for the sole purpose of keeping order in our kinds. If not for the natural born, vampires would run wild and ravenously feed on humans and wars would break out within sects. It's why we can do and see things other vampires cannot."

Immy looks down, "I was born a vampire too, I wasn't bitten... so am I a natural born?"

Serah nods and smiles, "In a sense yes, a natural born is the only creature than can pass down the curse hereditarily. So if I had another child it too would be a vampire but will not have the other... abilities."

"You mean we can't go full on Carrie at the prom like you can." Immy replies smiling.

Serah nods, "Nope, just me. So while I would love to go home and pick back up, not only is Kieran out there still but I can't leave the sect. Sometimes life pulls us into positions we never saw ourselves in and the only thing we can do is step up and try. Honestly between you and me, I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I mean for god's sake I'm a baker back in Jasper, but here I am in Cairo expected to lead an ancient sect of vampires, witches and werewolves into a battle and after."

Immy looks over at Serah, "No pressure right."

They both laugh; a knock at the passenger side window startles the two. They look over and see Harkyn smiling.

"I'll leave you two alone, Immy I love you... tell me you know that." Serah says.

"I know mom, I love you too."

Serah opens the door allowing Harkyn to get in the passenger seat next to Immy. Serah waves at them both and walks away and out of sight.

"Hey lucky charms." Immy says as she smiles from the passenger seat.