"Jason!" Annabeth called.

He scanned the battlefield until he saw her.

She pointed to where the Argo II was docked. "Get the others aboard! Retreat!"

"What about you?" he called.

"Don't wait for me!"

"They can't even be your backup!" Percy protested.

"It'd be more of a hassle than a help, there would be too many of us in a group for them to lose track of." Annabeth pointed out. "Besides, "Wisdom's daughter', remember?"

"I remember, I remember." he sighed. "I was just hoping that meant 'Wisdom's daughter walks alone with her friends and boyfriend standing guard at the doorway'."

Annabeth bolted off before he could protest.

...Annabeth dodged into a small room that must have been part of the garrison. She tried to steady her breathing. She imagined what it would have been like to be a Union soldier on this island in 1861. Surrounded by enemies. Dwindling food and supplies, no reinforcements coming.

Some of the Union defenders had been children of Athena. They'd hidden an important map here—something they didn't want falling into enemy hands. If Annabeth had been one of those demigods, where would she have put it?

"There must be some kind of secret compartment. Maybe there's a switch somewhere or a code." Annabeth said, more to herself than anyone else.

Suddenly the walls glistened. The air became warm. Annabeth wondered if she was hallucinating. She was about to run for the exit when the door slammed shut.

The readers stiffened.

"What's happening?" Percy cried in alarm.

"I don't know. I could've sprung a trap." Annabeth said, trying to remain calm. Her heart was racing in anticipation. She wanted to think of escape plans but then again, maybe she triggered a way that leads to the map.

The mortar between the stones blistered. The bubbles popped, and thousands of tiny black spiders swelled forth.

Annabeth gasped sharply. Her posture went rigid, as she stared at the book in wide-eyed horror.

Get a grip, they're not actually here. Despite her rational thought, Annabeth's face went pale and she could hear her hearting beating so loudly, she wouldn't be surprised that the others heard it as well.

Percy took her trembling hand and squeezed it.

"Why-" Annabeth winced when her voice came out as a squeak. She took a deep breath and tried again. "Why would they set up something like this?"

"To hint the chosen follower on who they will be facing." Athena said. "This is the chance to turn back."

As if I have a choice! Annabeth wanted to yell, instead she took a deep breath and shakily let it out. Remember why you're doing this.

She clenched her free hand into a fist as Zeus kept reading.

Annabeth couldn't move. Her heart seemed to have stopped. The spiders blanketed the walls, crawling over one another, spreading across the floor and gradually surrounding her.

Annabeth shuddered, she squeezed her eyes shut.

Percy rubbed soothing circles in her hand.

It was impossible. This couldn't be real.

They're probably just holograms or hallucinations from the heat. Annabeth readily thought.