Chapter 22 "I Almost Lost You"

Shaylynn's surprised by the message.

"I was talking to my cousin," she messages back, "Why are you up so late?"

"I've been thinking about you," Christian tells her.

Shaylynn smiles at his answer.

"I better be getting to bed. It will be time to get up before I know it," she messages back.

"Sweet dreams!" is Christian's last message to her before she turns off her phone.

In the morning Shaylynn finds she's taking a long time to pick out an outfit when it usually only takes her a couple of minutes.
After ten minutes, she finally chooses something.

She walks downstairs and to the kitchen

Walking in she sees Wendy sitting at the table with Jacquelyn, “Hello, Mrs. Halstead,” Wendy says to her.
“Wendy, please call me Shaylynn,” she tells her as she walks over to the table.
Wendy smiles, “Mr. Halstead left already,” she tells Shaylynn.
“His name’s Jay,” Shaylynn says, “We’re not formal in this house.”
“Right,” Wendy says.
“I better be going,” Shaylynn says kissing Jacquelyn on top of the head, “You be good.”
“Yes, Mommy,” Jacquelyn says.
Shaylynn smiles and walks out of the kitchen.
Picking up her bag she walks out the door.
Once outside and by Wendy’s car, she takes something out of her bag, bends down, and puts it up underneath the bumper.
Shaylynn walks to her Charger and gets in.  She sits there and wonders why Halstead already left.  Then it hits her, today is Kelton’s funeral.
She rolls her eyes thinking how roads are going to be blocked off for it.
Starting up the car she hurries and gets on the road before the roads she needs get blocked.

Unfortunately she’s to late.
Sitting in traffic behind barricades, she watches as cruiser after cruiser drives by.
Taking her phone, she starts scrolling through Facebook when she hears a knock on a window.  She looks up over at passenger window and sees Christian bending down looking at her.
Shaylynn unlocks the door, he opens it and sits down in the passenger seat, closing the door.
“What are you doing here?” Shaylynn asks him.
“Stuck in traffic just like you,” he tells her, “I’m one car back to your right. I saw your car and didn’t want to sit there by myself bored.  We both know this could take awhile.”
Shaylynn puts her phone down, “So Christian, are you from Chicago?” she asks.
“No, I’m from California,” he tells her.
She looks at him surprised, “Why are you here?  Did you move here or are you just visiting?”
“I moved here.  I have my eye on something,” Christian tells her.
“A certain position in the FBI?” she asks him.
Christian smiles, “Uh? Oh yeah, a position,” he tells her, “Your little girl is a real cutie.”
“Thanks,” Shaylynn says looking to see if there is an end in sight.
“You seem like you’re in a rush to get to work,” Christian says to her.
“I want to get out of this traffic jam,” she tells him, “I don’t like to be blocked in like this.  It makes me nervous.”
“Why does it make you nervous for?” he asks her.
“It’s from my military days,” she tells him.
Christian looks at her impressed, “What branch?” he asks.
“Marines,” she says, “Then on to the Special Forces.”
“Wow! Impressive!” Christian says.
Shaylynn looks at him, “What is your so called ‘title’ that Alexander gave you?” she asks.
“Hit man,” Christian tells her, “What’s yours?” he asks.
“Assassin/Sniper,” she says looking to see the final cruisers are finally going past, “You better be getting back to your car.  Looks like we’ll be moving.”
Christian looks up and sees a few cops moving the barricades, “See you at work,” he says opening the door.
He gets out, closes the door and hurries back to his car.
They continue to sit there for another fifteen minutes when Shaylynn's phone goes off letting her know she has a text message.
Picking up her phone she reads the message…..