Chapter 11 "New Toy"

The next day, Reneé skips school and heads to Med.
She overheard Ruzek and Burgess talking last night about Shaylynn being in a bad accident and wondering if she was going to make it out of the ICU.

Walking out of the elevator, Reneé heads toward the ICU.
She walks around until she finds Shaylynn's room. Walking up to the door, there's a guy standing beside her bed wearing scrubs, a surgical cap, rubber gloves, and what looks like a mask.
"You will not ruin this for me," Reneé over hears him tell Shaylynn as he takes a syringe off her bed, takes off the cap, and gets ready to insert it into her IV line.
Reneé gasps making the man look around at her.
She turns around and starts yelling, "HELP!" she screams out frightening the guy who quickly runs out and toward the stairwell.
A few nurses along with Dr. Rhodes come running, "Reneé, what's wrong?" he asks.
"There was a man in Shaylynn's room getting ready to put something in her IV!" she tells him.
"Alright, you sit down here while I go in and check on her," Dr. Rhodes tells her.
Reneé shakes her head, Dr. Rhodes walks away and over to Shaylynn's room.
"Don't touch anything!" he tells the nurse as he grabs some rubber gloves, "Call the Intelligence Unit," he tells her, the nurse walking back out.
He walks over to Shaylynn's bedside and checks her vitals when he notices two syringes laying on her bed. Looking down on the floor he notices another syringe.
Dr. Rhodes walks out of Shaylynn's room to see Beth sitting with Reneé, "What's going on?" Beth asks him.
"I'm pretty sure there was an attempt on Shaylynn's life," Dr. Rhodes tells her, "If Reneé wouldn't have started yelling I'm afraid to think what would have happened."

Ten minutes later, the Intelligence Unit shows up.
Ruzek and Burgess see Reneé and don't look happy as they walk over to her.
"Why aren't you in school?" Ruzek questions her.
"I heard you and Kim talking last night about Shaylynn. I wanted to come and see her," she tells him.
"Adam, don't be hard on her. She just saved Shaylynn's life," Beth tells him as Dr. Rhodes walks over.
Ruzek looks at Dr. Rhodes, "It's true. She started yelling scaring the guy away," Dr. Rhodes tells Ruzek as Halstead walks over.
"Did you see the guys face?" Halstead asks Reneé.
She shakes her head 'no', "He had a mask on."
"Any features at all?" Halstead asks, "Hair color? Eye color? Any tattoos?"
Reneé again shakes her head 'no', "The only way I would be able to recognize him is by his voice."
Halstead looks at Ruzek then back to Reneé, "Why by his voice?" Halstead asks her.
"Because I heard him talking to her," she tells him.
"What did he say?" Ruzek asks.
"You will not ruin this for me," Reneé tells him.
Halstead looks at Ruzek with a pissed off look.
Ruzek looks at Reneé and smiles, "You did good!" he tells her.
Dr. Halstead walks up, "Jay, can I talk to you?" he asks.
Halstead walks away with his brother, "What is it?" Halstead asks.
"The test was performed on Shaylynn early this morning," Dr. Halstead tells his brother.
"And?" Halstead asks waiting for an answer.
"Things look promising," Dr. Halstead says, "But don't celebrate too soon, okay. Anything can happen this early."
Halstead did have a smile on his face that quickly turned into a frown.

~~~~~~

Hours later sitting at his desk at the District, Halstead can't concentrate on the case.
Hank walks by and sees Halstead staring at Shaylynn's picture.
"Why don't you take the day off and go to the hospital," Hank tells him.
"Are you sure?" Halstead asks him.
"Yeah, we can handle things," Hank tells him.
Halstead nods and stands up. He takes his coat off the back of his chair and puts it on when his phone rings.
Getting a knot in his stomach hoping it's not Med, Halstead picks up his phone.
"Halstead," he says.
"I'm trying to reach a Shaylynn Halstead," he hears a man say, "I've tried reaching her at the first number on the shipping form but it keeps going to voicemail. This was the second number after hers."
"I'm her husband," Halstead tells the man, "What is this in regards to?" he asks.
"Her shipment. I need you or her to come to the cargo area at O'Hare to pick it up in the next four hours or it gets shipped back," the man tells him.
Halstead's confused. He doesn't know anything about a shipment.
"Give me fifteen minutes to get there. Depending on traffic it might be later," Halstead tells him.
"Alright, when you get here ask for Ralph," the man says and hangs up.
Halstead walks over to the stairs and starts walking down them when he runs into Ruzek.
"Where you off to?" Ruzek asks.
"I was going to Med but now I'm going to O'Hare. I received a weird call about a shipment for Shaylynn that needs to be picked up in the next four hours or it gets shipped back," Halstead tells him.
"I'll go with you," Ruzek tells him turning around walking back down the stairs.

~~~~~~

Walking into the Cargo area at O'Hare, Halstead and Ruzek walk up to the first guy they see.
"I'm looking for Ralph," Halstead tells him.
"Yeah, I'm Ralph. Who are you?" he asks seeing their badges.
"I'm Jay Halstead. You called me about my wife, Shaylynn Halstead's, shipment," he tells him.
"Yeah, yeah," Ralph says, "I'll need some I.D. to cover liability for myself and the company that the shipment was given to who you say you are."
Halstead takes out his wallet, takes out his drivers license and hands it to Ralph, "I'll be right back," he tells Halstead.
Ralph walks off to what looks like an office.
A minute later, he comes walking back out with another man. The other man walks outside as Ralph walks over to Halstead and Ruzek. Ralph gives back Halstead's license then looks at his badge and starts writing on his clipboard.
"What are you doing?" Halstead asks him.
"Writing down your badge number for extra protection," Ralph tells him.
"So what's this shipment?" Halstead asks him.
"We'll have to go outside," Ralph says walking toward the door.
Halstead looks at Ruzek as they start following Ralph.

Outside they see a huge cargo plane with the tail section open and Ralph just standing there.
Halstead and Ruzek walk up to him, "What are you waiting for?" Halstead asks him.
"You'll see," Ralph says.
Halstead and Ruzek keep watching the cargo plane when a car starts coming out.
"Is that my wife's shipment?" Halstead asks Ralph.
"That's it," Ralph says as the car pulls over to them, the other guy getting out of it. 

"Bugatti La Voiture Noire," Ralph tells Halstead, "All the way from Italy

"Bugatti La Voiture Noire," Ralph tells Halstead, "All the way from Italy. Only a few have been sold."
"How much does something like that go for?" Ruzek asks Ralph.
Ralph smiles, takes an envelope off his clipboard, and hands it to Halstead, "Here's the paperwork," he says, "It's all yours."
Ralph and the other guy walks away, "Does it say how much?" Ruzek asks Halstead as he looks through the paperwork and finds the bill of sale.
Ruzek watches as Halstead's eyes get huge, "What is it?" Ruzek asks.
"$18.9 million," Halstead says looking at the car.
"It's a good thing I came with you," Ruzek says putting his hand out for the keys to Halstead's truck, "Try to keep it under two hundred," he tells Halstead.

~~~~~~~

Back at Med, Beth and Reneé are sitting in Shaylynn's room.
All of sudden Shaylynn opens her eyes and starts swinging her arms around as though she's trying to punch something.
She starts gagging, grabs onto the tube and attempts to pull it out of her throat until Beth grabs onto her hands.
"Shaylynn, stop!" Beth yells at her, "Reneé, go and get someone!" she tells her.
Reneé runs out of the room, "Shaylynn, calm down! You're in the ICU at Med," Beth tells her as Dr. Rhodes and a nurse runs in with Reneé behind them.
Beth moves out of the way, "Shaylynn, do you know what happened to you?" Dr. Rhodes asks her.
Shaylynn shakes her head 'yes' slightly.
"Alright ladies, can you step outside?" Dr. Rhodes asks Beth and Reneé.
Both of them step out as Dr. Rhodes takes the tube out.
While waiting, Beth takes out her phone, "Halstead," she hears.
"Jay, Shaylynn's awake," Beth tells him.
"I'm on my way," he tells her, Beth hearing a weird noise.
"What is that?" Beth asks him.
"What's what?" Halstead asks.
"The noise," Beth says.
"Shaylynn's new toy," Halstead tells her, "I'll be there soon."

While Beth's on the phone a guy walks behind her toward the elevators.  As he waits for one to arrive he takes out his phone.
"She's awake," he says into his phone. 

~~~~~~~~~~

The character Reneé belongs to ChloeOgradyXo

The character Beth belongs to Paulinemartin100