Chapter 17

Sydney's POV

We laid snuggled up inside Xavier's tent. We were laying in his big sleeping bag, and I relished the moment as he played with strands of my hair.

"So your not mad that I'm the Red Devil Alpha female?" I asked shyly. I was on edge, what if he was still mad about that? I was afraid of the answer.

He looked at me thoughtfully, before answering my questions, sending even further over the edge with the anticipation. "I was at first, but not anymore. As soon as I found out you'd gone, I wasn't thinking about pack feuds, I was thinking about you. I was terrified thinking you might have been hurt, or who knows what else..." he hesitated.

I released my breath, the breath I didn't know I was holding in as a wave of relief washed over me.

"Are you mad that I let my pride get in the way, and because of it, you were almost..." he paused, struggling to say it out loud, as if saying it out loud would only make it that much more real.

"No, I'm not mad. At least you came, or it could have all been a lot worse. It all turned out fine." I told him, hoping to set his mind to ease. He let out a sigh of relief as we snuggled in closer to each other, and within a few moments Xavier was fast asleep with his arms wrapped around me. Even in sleep he was protective of me.

The truth of it all was, none of it was fine, especially me. The truth of the matter is, once you've been violated, there is no getting rid of the lasting feelings it gives you. People don't just bounce back within a week after something like this happens. I was depressed, and I felt like my body was torturing me as I kept reliving the horrid event. true it wasn't full blown rape, but that doesn't mean it wasn't as traumatic. When things like that happen, it can change a person.

We didn't go back to our packs right away. What was the point? We were gone anyway, what would it hurt to be gone a few more days, we would all be scolded about it, no matter when we came back.

We had all bonded, and I learned that Alex and Cameron were already really close, there bond was very strong.

I felt bad about bad mouthing Xavier's mom, I was angry, but that still isn't a excuse. I apologized to them both again about that particular matter.

We stayed in the forest for another week in total before heading back. Cam and Alex almost mated a few times, but things would always get in their way, me for instance, when I stumbled into her tent looking for clothes after Xavier and I had a little adventure by the lake, and caught them one inch away from mating. They were both stripped down to their underwear, and in a passionate make-out session. I made up my mind then and there to keep all my clothes Alex brought me in Xavier's tent.

Xavier and I had bonded even more over the week. We had explored the forests and lakes, and we ran together for the first time in our wolf forms. Our wolves fully accepted one another. I'd spent every night snuggled up in his tent. He would play with my hair or draw circles on my back til we fell asleep.

I tried connecting with Sam, but he didn't seem to interested. Every time I'd try to start a conversation with him, he would try to avoid giving me anything solid. Whenever I'd talk to him, I could always see Xavier somewhere nearby. I guess it was the mate bond, and seeing me with another male, and without his mark on me, made him much more protective. I would see him look at Sam, kill him with his eyes every time I'd try to talk to him. He would get so jealous. Sam was trying to shut me out, and I wasn't about to let that happen. It was in the woods the night before we were going back to our packs.

"I'm going to go get more firewood", Sam said as he shot up and marched off into the forest. I watched him as he moved, stiff, and I started to release Xavier's hand and tried to get up and follow him before a firm hand grabbed my waist pulling back down to him and a new set of sparks erupted. I looked up into his brown eyes as he kept his hand placed firmly on my waist.