Chapter 21

I growled causing everyone to freeze, then charging away from the people examining me, I barreled into the people on my mate, knocking them over.  People gave me shocked stares, eyes wide and mouths open as I stood in a protective stance over my mate, growling at anyone who dared to come closer.

He was injured, I cant believe my own pack hurt my mate.  My wolf snarled at them as they tried to inch closer.  Anger clouded my judgement, and I snapped at a small wolf trying to come up close to me to heal my wounds.  No one would hurt my mate, I am Alpha here. 

I was so blinded by my own rage I barely even noticed my father enter the bright green field, that was now stained with Xavier's blood.    My father's eyes had glazed over meaning he was linking privately with other pack members, otherwise it would be heard by all over the common link, of course my walls were up so even if he did say it in the common link I wouldn't have heard him.

I as far too busy snarling and snapping at my pack members to really notice or care what he was talking about, and that was my biggest mistake.

I felt a set of claws digging into my back and a wolf jumped on top of me, coming from the rear and taking me by surprise.  We tumbled a couple dozen feet away from my mate as we began snapping and snarling at one another as the wolf tried to take me on.

This was a behavior that would not be tolerated by my inner wolf or I, in one quick move I'd twisted around and grabbed his throat in my mouth and tearing him off my back.  When he hit the ground, he immediately submitted to his Alpha.  I looked up and three more wolves were charging me, but all I could see was what was going on behind them.

Two pack members held Xavier down as my father slowly stalked towards his red form.

In that moment, something deep within me was activated.  Something primal.  I moved with the grace of the wind that flowed through the trees and the speed of a lightning strike.  I struck down every wolf in between my mate and I with a new strength I had never known before.  Id knocked down every wolf in my way until I was once again standing over Xavier , crouched even lower so the hairs on my chest and belly grazed his side, as I stared into the eyes of my father.  I could feel all the other wolves pounding on the walls of my mind, the strongest being my father as he continuously stared me down.

I decided to do something extremely risky; I shifted.  As my claws and hair retracted, I was left crouched over Xavier's body, stark nude, and I could tell everyone was watching me, especially Xavier.  I stood, keeping a firm stance over Xavier, not caring about appearances as my long red hair was draped down over my shoulders, covering my breasts and my fresh mark.

"YOU WILL NOT TOUCH HIM!"  I shouted over the field as I felt the submission radiating from the wolfs forms that recognized me as Alpha, but few still stood firm against me.  I felt the presence of Cam, Alex and Sam enter the field and run up behind me getting into a fighting stance.  Cam took off his large shirt and handed it to me as I gratefully took it, pulling it over my small body as quickly as possible.  They stood firm behind me, and although Sam still wasn't used to the idea of not hating pales, even protecting one, I knew he would be loyal to me, even if that meant standing up against our pack.  I knew they all would be loyal to me.

"STAND DOWN SYDNEY!" father shouted back at me, getting closer til his face was in mine, where he whispered, "no daughter of mine will be a Pale Moon sympathizer, he must be killed, immediately!"  Xavier flinched, I knew he felt the urge to get and fight but he was greatly wounded from my packs attack, he was outnumbered, he couldn't have done anything.  I glanced down at his figure without turning away from my father.  He was short of breath and bleeding still, father must have had some wolves put on silver claws.  We locked eyes for a moment, and I knew what I had to do to protect him.