Don't Bother Calling

Dick stormed into the manor, allowing the front door to slam behind him. For the first time in his life, he ignored Alfred's disappointed face that appeared in his mind at his action. Flying up the grand staircase, Dick quickly found himself in Bruce's study.

"What happened?!" Exclaimed Dick, breathing hard as he stared down his mentor. "With Jason! What happened?!"

Bruce's hand was clenched into a fist, "It was Jason's impulsiveness that got him killed-"

 "YOU DON'T GET TO TALK ABOUT HIM LIKE THAT!!" Screamed Dick, his face turning red with emotion. "Now tell me what happened! Right now!"

"Jason heard a rumor that his birth-mother was alive-"

"He told me that weeks ago!" Interjected Dick, clenching his shaking hands.

Bruce grimaced, "He ran off to Ethiopia, and I followed him. Shortly after, I discovered that the Joker was there as well. Jason and I reconciled and went after Joker together, but he had two possible locations. Jason went after one while I went after the other. I had warned Jason against going after the Joker unless we were together, but he discovered that his birth-mother was there and he went against my orders-"

"You told him not to go after his birth-mother?!" Dick exclaimed. "I can't believe you!"

"Dick-"

Spinning around to face Bruce, Dick couldn't help but yell, "No! Jason was my brother! My baby brother, Bruce! And he's dead!"

"I don't know why Jason did something so insane-"

"Shut up!" Dick screamed. "Just shut up and listen for once! Jason was a fifteen year old kid who had just learned that his birth mother was alive! He was bored! He was lonely! He was probably pretty miserable too, considering how great you are with children! It's no wonder he ran off!! That was his mother! Do you know how badly I wish I could have my parents back?"

"You think I don't feel that same pain?!" Bruce fired back, getting to his feet. "This whole crusade started the night my parents died! And Jason was like a son to me! Do you think I'm not mourning him?!"

"AND WHAT ABOUT ME?!" Screamed the younger man. "You didn't even think to give me a call when Jason ran off! I could've talked to him! Helped him out! MAYBE KEPT HIM FROM GETTING HIMSELF BLOWN TO PIECES!!"

"You think about your next words very carefully!" Retorted Bruce, his jaw clenching.

Dick marched towards Bruce, jabbing a finger at the older man's chest, "I've been watching my next words for the past seven years! I'm over it, Bruce. I'm over you controlling my every move!"

"Dick, enough-"

"I'm done." Dick said flatly, causing Bruce to fall silent. "Don't bother calling."

And with that, Dick stormed out of the room, a heavy air filling the space as Bruce collapsed back into his seat, choking back the sob that threatened to crawl out of his throat.