4. Partners

I was sitting in English, listening to the teacher go on about some assignment we'll be doing over the week.

"So, you'll be writing an argument essay. The argument can be about whatever you want." She started, but stopped when she heard a knock on the door.

She went to open the door and in walked Austin.

"Mr. Mahone, what do you need?" She asked.

"They switched my schedule around. I'm in this period now." He answered.

"Okay, well, have a seat next to Ava over there." She said, pointing to the empty desk beside me.

Of course he's going to switch in to my class and then end up sitting right next to me. I just can't get away from this kid. He's everywhere now.

He walked to the back of the room, where I was, and sat in the desk next to me. I could feel him looking at me, but I just ignored him.

"Anyways, as I was saying," the teacher started, "you'll be writing an essay. But, you'll get to have partners on this. I'll be assigning them though."

The whole class groaned.

"Settle down. You two will have the whole week to write it. So, of course, if you turn it in, and it's good, you'll get full credit. The pair that has the best argument paper will get some extra credit." She explained.

A few kids asked questions and we waited for her to answer them before she moved on.

"Now, both people have to participate. One can't do all the work and the writing while the other slacks off. You will both be writing this essay together as a team."

She walked to her desk and grabbed a paper which I assumed had the names of the pairs on it. I listened as she called out the names.

"Ava, you'll be partners with Austin." She said.

I glared at her, wishing she had chosen anyone else but him.

"How predictable" I said under my breath.

"So, what are we supposed to be doing?" He asked.

I rolled my eyes and sighed loudly. "Weren't you paying attention? She just told us."

"Cut the attitude and just tell me." He urged.

I explained the assignment to him and we began working. Well, I began working. He didn't really do much, but I figured he wouldn't.

***

four days later

Austin and I are sitting in class, trying to finish this essay, and it's nowhere near done. It's now Thursday and it's due tomorrow.

"We're not going to finish." I sighed.

"We'll do it later then." He said.

"How? We can't put it off until tomorrow because that's when she's collecting it."

"Come to my house after school today."

"What? No." I said.

"Fine. Fail the paper then. I don't give a shit whether I get credit for it or not, so it's up to you."

"Alright, fine. Just meet me in the school parking lot after school." I said as the bell rang. I grabbed my stuff and walked away.

The rest of the school day went on, and before I knew it, school was over. I went to my locker before going out to the parking lot to meet Austin like I said I would.

I scanned the parking lot and saw him leaning against a red range rover.

"Should I just follow you to your house, or what?" I asked as I walked up to him.

"Why don't I just take you?" He asked.

"Because I have my car, and I can't just leave it here."

"Alright then, yeah, just follow me." He said.

I nodded my head and turned around to walk to my car. I got in and started the engine. Once I saw Austin pulling out of the parking lot, I did the same and followed him to his house.

As I followed him, I noticed that the neighborhood we were in looked familiar. Then he turned on to my street. At first I was confused but then I realised, he lives on the same street as me.

He pulled into his driveway and I pulled in beside him. He got out of the car and I did too.

"Come on." He said to me, walking up to his doorstep. I walked behind him and waited for him to open the door.

I can't believe he lives on the street as me and i've never noticed. Whatever. I just want to hurry and get this essay done, then leave.

"Are you coming in or not?" He asked, impatiently.

"Oh, sorry." I said.

I walked into his house and looked around. It was nice and neat. I liked it.

"Where are you parents?" I asked, noticing that no one was there.

"I live alone." He said, brushing past me and plopping down on the couch.

I went and sat beside him and took my things out of my book bag.

"Why?" I asked.

"Does it matter?" He spat.

"Calm down." I said. "Let's just get this over with."

We worked on the essay for an hour until finally, it was finished. And honestly, It was pretty good. I didn't think it would be.

"Well, I should go." I stood up and grabbed my bag.

All of a sudden, his front door burst open and three boys about our age came walking in.

"Sup." They all said to Austin.

He nodded his head in response, then stood up from the couch.

"Come on. I'll walk you out." He said.

He led me outside and I thanked him before getting into my car and driving home.

• Austin's P.O.V •

"Who was that?" My friend Alex asked.

"Some girl from school." I answered.

"She's hot. Are you trying to get at that?" My friend Robert asked.

"No. She was just here because we had some project to finish." I said.

"Man, you got to get at that before someone else does." He said.

"Shut up." I said.

She's hot as hell, of course I want to get at her. But, she's too much of a goody goody. And that attitude of hers gets on my damn nerves.

My phone went off and I took it from my pocket to read the message.

'There's going to be a meeting soon. I might have something big for you and your boys to do.' It read.

"Guys, I think we've got ourselves another job." I said out loud.