²

SHADOW

FLORENCE COULD STILL REMEMBER THE FIRST TIME SHE FELT ANYTHING TOWARDS KAKASHI. It was sadness, maybe even pity as she watched him weep at Konoha's stone memorial.

She was only a decade old at this time. Her large almond eyes would stare upon him and the thirteen year old boy would ignore her presence. Safe to say her hiding skills were less than mediocre.

It wasn't until she stepped out of the bushes and kneeled beside him that he finally acknowledged her.

"Go away". His voice creaked about to giveaway.

Kakashi dared not turn his head, instead his eyes looked to her from the side. A twig like girl rocked back and forth on her heels. He had no clue who she was.

She only sighed and shook her head childishly. "Don't worry, you're not alone anymore" she grabbed onto his arm with one hand and used the other to turn his head towards her. Gently she lent her forehead against his, "you have me now".

For a second Kakashi's heart flickered. He gave in for a second. Then he recollected himself and shook her away. Happiness wasn't an option for him, he was doomed to live his life trying to repay his mistakes.

"Go away" he muttered scornfully.

After all, if she stuck around he would probably cause her death too.

The ninja war was continuing on its gruesome way and all Kakashi could bear to do was trace his teammates carved names.

Florence on the other hand had ambition. The girl was smaller than average, a little skinny and was quite clumsy, but she trained hard to be a ninja. Kakashi thought she was stupid trying to dive head first into a war she didn't have to be a part of.

"Don't be sad you have me now" she spread her arms and looked down at him. He only scoffed.

"Go away".

"Kakashi" Florence wined.

"Go away" the silver haired boy squeezed his eyes shut hoping by the time he opened them again she would have disappeared.

Florence shook her head and instead plopped down beside him.

They seemed to sit in silence as the sun began to setand as night descended neither budged. Florence hummed a little tune and Kakashi looked to her from the corner of his eye.

For some reason Florence would vist Kakashi every day at the memorial stone. The sour silver eyed boy would tell her to get lost and unphased she would stay. At some point he gave up, giving into her company.

"Kakashi, goodmorning". She stood ankles deep in fluffy white snow.

He nodded towards her before peering back at the stone. A few hours ago, when he first arrived Kakashi brushed off the small snow pile on top of the memorial. As a result his sleeve still hung damp.

Florence nodded back keeling next to him like always. "Did you see I've grown! Momma says I'll be as tall as a mountain one day" she smiled with kinder happiness.

She was innocent and for that Kakashi couldn't help but feel resentment towards her. Still, like always he nodded. No matter how much he wanted to tell her it was lies, that every joyful thing she said was lies he instead bit his tounge.

For a few more minutes she tried to make conversation, but like every other day Kakashi would simply nod or give simple few worded answers. So, like everyother day she slowly faded into silence.

It was already dawning on night by the time she came, training was growing longer and tougher. As Kakashi observed her he noticed new cuts and scratches on her pale skin. His heart seemed to flicker again and for a brief moment her felt sadness for her. She too had to grow up and fight in this war ment for adults.

As she bid goodbyes his hand clenched. The ninja world was all too hard.

 The ninja world was all too hard

Hello!

Someone please tell me to stop making stories or I wont stop.

Hope you enjoyed the first real chapter♡♡♡

Edited 8/18/20