Insanity's Edge

He sees it in his yard occasionally. Nothing more than an out of place shadow, one that blends back in with the rest immediately after emerging. Nick never payed any attention to it. Except for last night, when he caught it in its true form.

It was well past midnight and Nick had come out to his foyer to retrieve his glasses before heading back to bed. But before he could turn and leave he looked to the window by the front door and approached.

He lifted the shade and looked out onto his front porch, where only his rocking chair should sit. But in the darkness he found more than just rocker, he saw something else. A someone almost. It stood hunched over on his stone porch and Nick felt as if he were to be driven to madness simply by the sight.

The hunched over someone had course brown fur encasing it's back in an animalistic way that could almost be human. But not quite. It's face was closer to human. But not exactly. Black and white smeared across the flesh of this thing's face as if in a horrific ritual.

It's black beady eyes seemed to already be looking to the shade. As if it was expecting him. All of this stuck him dead cold. But what pushed him to insanity's edge was its mouth. Sitting slightly ajar, the thing's teeth seemed to be endlessly changing. In one moment it seemed to be be human teeth. Then the next it would bare fangs, close to nothing Nick had ever seen.

The very presence of this creature filled Nick with a sour form of dark glee. Although disgusted at the thought of falling into insanity's bottomless pit, the idea seemed pleasing to him. All at once the thought of slipping out of reality felt comforting. Surely nothing can harm you in a land of your own thought?

Perhaps. Or perhaps not. Nick has found out. He sits in the dark of his closet now. He sees the beast in his mind's eyes. He has fallen into insanity unknowingly. And he's enjoying it.

And now I sit in my foyer, waiting for the urge to look out my own window. So that I can see Insanity himself as well. And so that I can join him.