Oh Well

He hit the bottom with a thud, letting a scream escape him and pierce the silence of the night. He was panting as tears rolled down his face from the pain of the fall. As if getting chased through the woods in the midnight hour wasn't bad enough, Chris just had to stumble down some old well.

It had been at least two in the morning when that thing had awoken him. He had fled from his home and into the woods behind his house. God knew how long this old well had been here. But of course it had to be now that Chris discovered it.

He supposed he was lucky to have survived, but with the situation he was in now, he was finding it difficult to remain optimistic. He looked up to see the silhouette of that.. Whatever it was. Although he couldn't see it's face, he imagined that it was grinning down at his misfortune.

What hadn't broken when he made the twenty foot drop ached terribly. His ribs felt broken and most likely had pierced his lungs. In the dim of the moonlight, he found it difficult to see but had no trouble in seeing that his left arm was dislocated and his right mangled horribly.

After several minutes of grunting and wincing in pain, Chris managed to get to his feet. His right ankle had snapped upon landing and his foot dragged along uselessly as he tried to find support on the slippery mossed walls.

He attempted to climb but it was pointless, the walls were to slick to climb in his condition. He looked up at the dark figure looming over him. He could have swore behind the darkness that it was smiling.

It turned to leave and Chris almost cried out. Although the evil of the monster disturbed him, he couldn't stand the thought of being left here all on his own. Before he could get a sound out, the figure turned back, now holding something.

He flinched as something came hurling down the well and stopped a foot above where his head rested against the wall. He looked up to see a rope coiling down the stone wall. 'Oh God' he thought, 'How am I supposed to climb that thing like this?'

He reached up and grabbed ahold of the loop at the end of the rope and he waited - he hoped - for the figure to pull him up and out of this hole. After a moment of stillness Chris looked up to see that the thing hadn't moved. Then it did. Not a lot, just enough for Chris to understand. The figure was shaking his head.

Chris looked to the loop of rope in his hand and immediately made the connection. This wasn't the way out he was hoping for. The rope that he had seen as a blessing was a noose. He was supposed to hang himself. He looked up at the figure in disbelief.

Then it happened again. It seemed to be grinning. It bent down and tied the other end of the rope to a tree trunk before stalking off into woods that no other men would travel again for some time.

By now most will be wondering what happened. If Chris hung himself to end his misery, or if he waited for death to come, living in fear and pain at the bottom of the well. And truth be told, I don't really know.

But I guess we'll find out when I come and chase you out of bed and into the woods. When it's your turn to fall down the well and make the choice. We'll just have to wait and see...