Chapter 59

Ensued was an official government meeting with a group of high ranked officials in each brigade. We were told not to talk about the three books we found; 'The Early Life of Grisha Yeager." , "The Extent of our Knowledge of Titans and Their History." and "Information about the World Beyond the Walls." To any of the civilians at first.  We spoke about what was said in the books, how we were 'Subjects of Ymir' and so on. Eren did interrupt the meeting, but never stated why, which resulted in Hange claiming he's going through a phase. And we will forever mention this moment to embarrass Eren.

Per usual, the Military Police protested concerning their complaints. They wanted the civilians to know what was going on, so Historia said we would restore the memories that were taken a century ago, back to them. This caused me to chuckle since everyone who's memories were taken away, were probably dead at this moment, since a century has passed.

***

"Our enemies will begin an invasion of this land in the near future under the pretext of acquiring its resources." Someone said. I lowered my head and closed my eyes. I was sitting at another meeting, only a few days after the previous meeting, and honestly, I would pay to be somewhere else. "The article is already out," he continued, "But would you vouch for that story's authenticity?"

"At the very least, " I heard Hange says, "It matches up with the questions and doubts we've has all this time. I don't want to believe it.. Of course I don't."

I feel a hand pat my head and I immediately shoot up. I nervously chuckle when everyone glances at me and pick up my cup of tea. I look to my side and see Levi, staring at me, then he moves to the window. I follow him and stand beside me.

"So what's the town's reaction?" I make up a question to make it look like I've been properly listening the whole time. The people at the table go on to talk about how some people are simply accepting it while others make up conspiracies. "Hm?" I mumble to Levi.

"You looked like you were sleeping." He states, "Give me your tea." I hand it over not thinking too much about it and he hands me his empty cup. He mumbles a small 'Thanks' and starts sipping on it. A small grin appears on my face but I don't say anything.

"I'm very proud of all of you. As someone who lives inside the same Walls as you, and as a fellow working man." Someone says and I glance over.

Really now?

"Thanks." I smile, "So now, maybe you can help put the Survey Corps in a better light."

I notice Levi's eyebrow twitch at my comment, but he just continues sipping his tea. Hange nods a little in approval and then chuckles.

***

The remaining Survey Corps gathered for a medal ceremony. This wouldn't be too bad if my uniform wasn't so tight! Who flat ironed this thing? Its constricting my breathing. I tug at the collar and realise all the buttons are buttoned up. I undo one button and let out a sigh of relief.

"What are you doing?" Mikasa asks me. I smile at her and shake my head. I look back at the group and notice Hitch, from the Military Police is here.

"I'm here to see you all get your medals." She says. I wave at her with a smile and she does the same.

"Marlowe." Floch begins, "He was brave until the end. He was a fresh emergency recruit, just like me. But at the very end..." Floch lowers his head, "He must have regretted ever going there."

Hitch's eyes widen and I grit my teeth. That was rude, completely rude and unnecessary. I walk over to Floch and place my palm on his shoulder, "Watch your mouth today." I whisper.

"Thanks! I'll be the one laughing if any of you mess up at the ceremony." Hitch smiles and quickly walks away.

"Someone has to tell the truth, right?" Floch mutters.

"I know that you desperately wanted to revive the commander Erwin." Armin says, guilt all over his face.

This dude is starting to piss me off.                   

"That's right." He says, confidence pouring out of him, "I thought the commander was the right choice, not you. But I wasn't the only one. It's all of us. Its what everyone-"

I take a step in front of Floch and immediately roundhouse kick him in the face. He falls to the floor and I walk over to him and lift his collar up to my face, "You said it yourself. You're a fresh emergency recruit. I don't think you have been here long enough, or been educated long enough for you to spout such nonsense." His face flashes with fear, "If you have doubts, speak about them with me. The one who made the decision. Not Armin."

"B- But everyone is still wondering why it wasn't Erwin..!" He continues and I drop his collar. His head bangs off the floor, "But I do know why Armin was picked! Because of Eren and Mikasa, and Captain Levi and you! It was your personal emotion-" I slam my foot into his stomach.

"Shut up. If you want to know why Armin was picked over Commander Erwin, you can bring it up to me in my office later. It isn't a public affair you can preach about" I lift my foot and look around.

Thankfully not much commotion formed. I walked away and turned a corner, just to have someone grab my arm. I glance down at the hand over my arm and then look up to see Levi in front of me, "You can't leave at the moment." He whispers.

"I know that. But I can prevent myself from killing that dumbass by leaving the scene." I reply.

He raises an eyebrow at me, "I don't think I've properly seen you lose your shit over a mere cadet." I chuckle and look away, "You're right, he's a dumbass, so don't take it personal" He pulls me closer to him and kisses my forehead.

I wrap my arms around his waist and I feel tears threaten to spill down my face, "Its just... I know everyone thinks I made the wrong decision. But its because they don't understand. Erwin told me... He told me that under no circumstance should the titan serum be used on him."

***

Note - There will be many time skips from this chapter onward. Please try revising the manga if you are confused.

(***) = Time skip :)                             

Thanks for the support x