29|| I Killed a Girl and I Liked It.

Start from the beginning

"Rosalind, come here, those are your favourites!" Her mum whisper-shouted across the hall, where she stood by the buffet, waving Rosalind over.

Rosalind smiled at her mother sadly, as the latter struggled to hold a cinnamon roll without dropping it.

"Open your mouth, quick!" Jewel urged, grinning as she fed the roll to her only beloved daughter. As Rosalind chewed on it, keeping her hand below her mouth to prevent her from spilling anything on her dress, she struggled to hold back her tears.

She felt so cruel, doing that to her mother. Rosalind knew that it was necessary for their own safety, but her mother meant the world to her. Jewel was the person she loved the most. And now she had to lose that person, not much later after losing her uncle.

Jewel was the only role model Rosalind had left, she was a huge source of love and happiness in her life. And for that someone checking up on her every once in a while, picking her the most beautiful dresses, thinking of her just upon seeing a cinnamon roll, feeding her when she's ill, making her pancakes every morning, passing her the fresh laundry she'd just washed, or giving her warm hugs- forgetting completely that she existed, was quite a crushing point in her life.

She knew it was for the greater good. She knew that she would keep her mother safe- Grindelwald wasn't going anywhere near Australia.

Tom however, wasn't oblivious to Rosalind's tears as she watched her mother dance with Robert. So he moved closer towards her, brushing his thumb against her hand, very uncertain of his actions. She almost held his, but Tom didn't know if that would be too affectionate for his usual cold state.

So he retrieved his hand back, and with it disappeared the jolting electricity that flowed in her veins just as his fingertips touched her

Tom cleared his throat, "It's for the best, Rosalind."

***

Rosalind and Tom spent the whole night lingering by the bar, having a little more drinks than necessary.

Her mum checked up on her every now and then, but Rosalind seemed to have turned stone cold. Void of any emotions, being a bit tipsy as well. She discarded the fur bolero due to the enormous heat of the crammed room.

Tom and Rosalind leaned back against the bar lazily, as the muggles were starting their typical new year countdown. Rosalind couldn't care less, she knew that the new year wouldn't be a good one at all. So what's the point in celebrating it?

Rosalind found a certain fascination in those people's happiness- something she seemed to be lacking lately. Despite them struggling with the muggle war, they were able to celebrate the new year cheerfully.

Another couple of minutes passed, until Tom decided to break the silence. "Do you have the tickets?"

Rosalind nodded, and immediately knew what that meant. It was time to put their plan into action.