Chapter 33

Janvi stared at him like he was crazy, there was no simple explanation for it. "Dev?" Was all she could muster.

      "The red car." Viren said his knuckles turning white from gripping the steering wheel. .

       "What about it?"

       "You don't get it... That night. When we met Varun... We dropped him off near the bank."

      Janvi kept her cool and tried to listen as they zoomed past vehicles. "I know about that. You guys told me you dropped him by the bank."

         "No. We had to drop him by the bank. Because I hit a red car."

      Then it clicked to her. It was Dev's car. It was a block away from Dhruv's place. Her eyes widened as she pulled out her. She searched for the CCTV footage on her google drive. Clicking it she saw Viren and Aghanya hit the car and Varun walking away. Then after a while she saw someone looking like Dev enter the car and drive away.

         The car came to a stop, "You're right. Let's go." She pulled out her gun and they entered the elevator. Viren tapped his foot as the elevator went up. The lights gave out and they came to a standstill. "What the fuck?" She banged the doors and pressed the alarm button.

      "I'm calling Aghanya." Viren said  as he dialed. Aghanya didn't pick up. But it shook them to a core as they heard a bang.

***

     Aghanya watched them leave and plopped on the sofa sighing. "I wish I could go too."

     Dev smiled at her. "You are the one in danger."

       "That is what I don't understand!" She put her face in her palms. "Why does he want to kill me?! I did nothing wrong to Varun or him to me."

     "I don't know, backtrack to when you met that night. The most important clues are the ones that are right under our noses."

    "Why you? You're our friend. Yes, but why you?"

     "I don't know. Maybe because he knew I was a hardcore fan of yours." Dev laughed. He got up and stretched. "Do you want some coffee?" He asked.

     "Yes."

     Aghanya sat with knots in her stomach as time passed by. A good half an hour had passed. She jerked from her train of thoughts as Dev placed the coffee cup on the table.

    He went inside again and brought a tub of vanilla ice cream. Aghanya watched as he scooped out a spoon of ice cream and dunked it in her cup.

     "Just the way I like it." Aghanya smiled and picked up the cup to smell it . "I have to pee first to fully enjoy this delicacy." She giggled and walked to the bathroom.

      Once she locked the door, she out a hand in her heart to stop the panicking. Fuck. FUCK FUCK. She could believe Dev was the killer. She tried her phone to Janvi and Viren but it was out of coverage area. Sweat trickled down he face as she dialled 100 and informed them quietly. She then messaged the others about the situation.

     "Aghanya?" Dev knocked. "What are you doing inside for so long?"

     "I'll be outside in a minute." She didn't let her voice show panic.

     "Your coffee is getting cold and your ice cream is melting."

     "In a minute, Dev. I'm having lady problems." She lied. She sighed a breath of relief as Dev laughed.

     "We both know you're lying." He hissed. "You know, don't you?"

      Aghanya stood shell shocked as blood rushed to her ears. "Come on tell me what gave it away." He said.

     "The coffee with ice cream." She said her voice wavering. She had to stall him until the police arrived.

     "How so?"

   "Only Viren and Varun know about it. And no one told you we were all here but you still came here."

      "Oh... you're not that dumb after all. But you should've just drank it. I added something extra for you." He snickered.

    Aghanya panicked as she searched around the bathroom for something to attack him with. "Now can you answer my question?"

      "Sure."

       "Why did you kill Varun?"

          He laughed. It was one of those laughs that turned her stomach.

       "Isn't it obvious?" He snickered.

    "No." She quickly searched the cabinets and found an old rusty iron pipe. She gripped it in her hands and swung once.

         "Well, to conclude in short. I was jealous. He spoke so much about you. The guilt was eating him up alive. I knew that he loved you. Right till the end." Aghanya waited as he paused. "He left me so that he could mend things with you."

       "Wait, what? He left you? Were you guys together? Varun was gay?"

         "No. He was bisexual, duh!"

          Aghanya braced herself and opened the door and swung her iron rod. It hit him in the shoulder and he screamed in pain and moved away. She gripped the pipe tighter.

         "You're fucked up." Aghanya said walking towards him.

     He rushed and grabbed a vase, "Why? Because I'm gay?"

      "No?" She said quickly. "I don't care if you're gay or not. Or if you loved him or not. I don't care about any of your sexualities! I just think, your dumbass should've talked to him instead of killing him."

        "I didn't want to. Trust me." He smiled. "I just wanted him to stay. But he wouldn't."

     Aghanya laughed as if she couldn't believe that there was such a stupid reason for her life being a hell hole all these months. "You loser! Do you even know what we talked that night? The night you killed him?"

      She laughed again, at this point it wouldn't be surprising if she was going insane. "He apologised to me. For what he had done. And he told me, he couldn't move on if he didn't. He told me he loved someone. He told me he was going to propose. He asked me for marriage tips." Her eyes blurred with tears. She wasn't even sure why she was crying now.

        "And you killed him that night. If only, your stupid ass had had slept on it. My life wouldn't be such a mess right now."

       "But he-" he dropped the vase and clutched his hair. "Argh! You're lying..."

      "I'm not." She said flatly.

      "But I-I..." His breathing turned ragged. The door was shot twice and the police rushed in.

      A gun shot had went off and Aghanya saw him fall to the ground clutching his leg. Two police men cuffed and dragged him out.

    Aghanya slumped down and dropped the rod. The metal clanged loudly. It was over. Finally over.

    She saw Viren and Janvi rush in and Viren rushed to her and hold her and all she wanted was to be held. Viren pressed a kiss in her hair and held her closer.

  ****

    A/N: There'll be one more of an epilogue chapter and then we'll be  finished with Doomed.