Chapter 31

When Aghanya left with Viren. Janvi walked over to him.

     "How are you?"

    "I'm fine." His chest did hurt but he was used to it by now. The meds made him tired and drowsy.

    "You should talk to her." Janvi said.

     "Talk what? It's over. I waited. I waited for her and she never showed up. I was hurt and in pain, only you three visited me. She never did. She doesn't care."

    Janvi sighed, "Dhruv...she isn't how we perceive her. She's complicated to understand. You should really talk to her. Talk to her about what you feel. It'll help. Trust me."

     Janvi nodded at him and left the apartment. He stayed on the couch for a moment before walking in. Her room door was ajar.

    A pile of clothes was on the bed and she was folding. He walked in and she stopped folding and looked at him.

    "Why are you here?" She looked away continuing her work.

      He kept staring at her as he felt his irritation rise. "Why did you leave?"

    "What?"

    "Why did you leave without seeing me?!"

She looked at him and he saw her eyes wash over guilt. She covered it up with her stoic gaze again.

     "I was busy."

   Dhruv breathed out a hot breath. "Let's get divorced."

      She had stopped midway and looked at him. "You want to get divorced?"

    "Stop putting this on me. I don't want to divorce you, obviously!"

      "Then why would you say that?!" She threw whatever cloth she had in her hand and took a step towards him. They do had a hand distance between them.

      He hitched in a breath, and took a step forward, their chests almost touching, "Because it feels like you do!"

    When she said nothing, he continued, "You don't want me, yes? I don't fit in your perfect dream that you had. You think you deserve some one better. So, do it. Find that someone else, let's get divorced. If you're worried about your mom, I'll handle it, like I promised."

      "Is that really what you think I want?" She poked his chest, right where his heart was. "You think I don't want you? I lost all sense of control when you got shot."

     "You left..." He muttered, his heart beating fast, he wondered if she could feel it.

   "It scares me...How everything fits perfectly in the scenario I had in mind. A doctor husband, a nice apartment, my mom receiving the best treatment... except for one thing. I'm not a doctor. All I could so was cry and lose myself and do nothing. Not even first aid."

      "Is that all?" Dhruv sighed in relief.

      "No. It's not all. I wasn't able to do anything while you were shot and bleeding. If I was a doctor, I could've done something, yes?" Her voice tore.

      He cupped her cheeks, "But nothing happened to me. And it's not too late. You can sit for entrance exams. You can still go to med school."

    "You think so?" She asked.

    "Yes. Let's get you into  tutoring." He pressed a kiss on her forehead, his lips lingering there for a moment.