Chapter 29

A shot went through and Aghanya saw who it was. Blood pooled on Dhruv's chest as he looked down before collapsing. Kushi was the first to scream. She didn't know what was happening.

     They ran over to Dhruv as Viren held him. Janvi was handling the killer as he knocked her jaw with the gun. Janvi kicked his leg as he tried to run. He dropped the gun and Janvi picked it up. She pointed it to him.

Suddenly, his mouth frothed and his eyes turned glassy. He had stopped breathing.

Janvi saw them all surrounding Dhruv's person.

     "What are you doing?! Call an ambulance!" She yelled holding her bleeding lip.

    ***

     From the moment they had left her apartment, Kushi was the one who hadn't stopped crying. She sobbed and sobbed and it was beginning to worry Aghanya.

      "Call a doctor to give something to her to calm down." She said to Viren, he nodded and left. A doctor had arrived, the gave her an injection to calm down. Kushi was asleep in minutes.

     Janvi was getting her busted lip checked. Aghanya felt exhaustion wash over her. She felt she was the reason why everything was going wrong. Varun's killer was after her and somehow everyone around her was getting hurt.

She slumped on the chair beside Viren. He held her hand. "Don't." He said. She looked at him with questions in her mind. "Don't blame yourself. It's not your fault." He gave her hand a squeeze.

"He's trying to kill me. Only me. And he isn't succeeding but others are getting hurt. He shot you too. Attacked Kushi. Now Dhruv."

"It's not your fault. It's his. Stop blaming yourself, yes?"

She nodded sighing not feeling relieved. When Janvi came back, she came back with Nikhil in tow.

"He's handling the murder case. Just give him your testimony." She said with a square face.

***

When Kushi woke up, she asked for Dhruv again. Somehow Janvi had managed to get her to sleep. Exhaustion crawled her body from lack of sleep. She couldn't rest. She needed to visit the morgue doctor for the post mortem report and track the case from there.

Blowing out a deep breath, she instructed Viren and Aghanya to look after them and went to the morgue. She took the ziplock bag which had the usual wallet, handkerchief, clothes and keys. It seemed like hid house keys with a key chain of a snake eating its tail symbol.

Janvi got the post mortem report and went to the station. She took a deep breath and knocked the door.

   "Come in." Came his reply.

     "Here's the report." She slid the file across his desk.

     "Oh hello."

     She looked at the person seated in front of the desk. Janvi looked at him with her eyes wide as saucers. His eyes were like deep pools of honey, his jaw was square with some stubble which she had kissed last night, his hair was smooth and fell over his eyes, she had ran her fingers over them.

     "What are you doing here?" She looked at the handsome stranger whom she had spent the last night with.

        He laughed and raised his hands jingling the handcuffs. "I was arrested."

       "You know him?" Nikhil asked her.

        "Uh no." She quickly said.

       "Why are you lying?"