Chapter 72 - Specters of the Past

Corran slept restless because of his injuries. He wasn't able to heal them totally and caught a fever. There were dreams, dreams of the past: The burning temple, Ben's betrayal, Sheila's death. He woke with a scream, looking around in bewilderment, at the first moment not knowing where he was. His hands were shaking when he pulled the blanket tighter around his body. The young Jedi was pretty sure that he would die here if his sister wouldn't come soon to the rescue. He sighed and leaned back again. Cold sweat was trickling his forehead. Corran fell asleep again.

"Corran" The youngest of the Rendar triplets heard a whisper and saw a silhouette in the distance. The silhouette was approaching him slowly constantly whispering his name. Then he could see finally who was speaking to him. A smile lit up his face. "Sheila"
The young woman appeared in front of him how he remembered her. How she looked before she was laying slaughtered on the landing pad of Luke Skywalker's academy. Sheila, the great love of his life. She smiled and he could feel her touch on his cheek. He turned his head and kissed her palm. The palm was soft and warm like it was years ago when he fell in love with Sheila. Corran felt tears in his eyes. "You are back..."
The young woman put her index finger at her lips. "Shhh, don't speak, my love. Just listen to me. I want you to survive. It's not the time for you to die. I love you, Corran but I don't want to see you soon where I am now. Understood?"
The young Jedi nodded and caressed Sheila's hand. He felt happy and begun to relax. Sheila took a cloth and wiped the sweat from Corran's forehead and smiled at him. "You will make it, my love."
The Rendar offspring eventually slept soundly after Sheila took him in her arms singing silently a lullaby.

When Corran woke up the next morning Sheila was gone. The young Rendar sat up slowly and winced. He looked around and tried to stand up. Corran gritted his teeth when the pain hit him full force. He fell back on the cot and shivered. He pulled the blanket around his body and lessened the pain with the Force. Finally he was able to stand up and limped to the crate where he had found protein bars and flasks filled with water. It wasn't much and since he didn't know how long it would take his sister to reach Crait he was forced to ration both. Corran had still fever and it would be difficult to ration the water. He sighed realizing this. Then he began to eat. He chewed on the protein bar and downed it with some water. It didn't taste this bad but it was certainly owed to how hungry he was. It wasn't much, but the protein bar contained everything to keep him alive. Corran was grateful to whoever brought the crate on the transport.

After he had finished his meal he limped back to the cot and lied down again. He closed his eyes, hoping that Sheila will keep him company again.