Chapter 67 - Words of a wise Man

Kyle Katarn looked at the two younger Rendars after their parents had left.
"And now you both stay put, since I have to tell you something." He walked over to the bar and came back with three glasses of Corellian ale shortly after. The elder Jedi sat down again and took a first swig after he set the glasses on the table.
Dash Jr. looked at him suspiciously while his younger brother stared somewhere at the wall as if there would be something very interesting. Katarn smiled and put his glass back on the table. "Let's make a deal, boys. You tell me how my son's doing and I tell you why I refused to join the Resistance."
Biggs finally gave up on staring at the wall and gave Katarn a lopsided grin instead. His elder brother leaned back in his chair and took a swig of ale. "You want to know how Jaden's doing? Why don't you ask him by yourself, Kyle? It can't be this difficult."
Kyle shrugged. "We have had some differences in the past and didn't entirely come over them." Dash Jr. sat up and leaned over the table. "Oh, really? Care to tell us what happened?"
Katarn took another swig and wiped the foam from his upper lip before answering the young Rendar's question.
"I refused to train Jaden in the ways of the Force. We had an argument and he left. It's just this simple."
Dash Jr. gave a low whistle. "How does it come that I don't believe you, Kyle? I know Jaden and there must have been more that caused him to leave."
Kyle looked at the young Jedi over the edge of his glass. "I don't want to discuss my family affairs with you, Dash."
Rendar raised an eye brow. "Minutes before you said to us that you want to tell us..."
Kyle interrupted him: "Why I refused to join the Resistance." He leaned over the table and locked eyes with Dash Jr. "Because this fight is senseless." He leaned back again on his chair and raised his glass to take another swig. "Look, we fought the Empire for years and for what? For nothing. All our sacrifices, our suffering, all the bloodshed was in vain. Our leaders, especially Chancellor Mon Mothma were too compliant when it came to make an end to the Empire. The Galactic Concordance was a mistake. We should have crushed the remnants of the Imperial fleet after the Battle of Jakku, but we let them vanish to some place in the Unknown Regions. Now they are back and even stronger than before. The First Order is the Empire raised from the dead. Can't you see this?"
Biggs nodded thoughtfully. "Maybe you are right, so more reason to fight them."
"So stupid politicians can give away again what we accomplished?" Katarn asked, nearly spilling his ale when he set the glass hard on the table. "The government is gone when the First Order blew the Hosnian System in oblivion. They took over, have all resources, plunder every planet they get in their greedy fingers. The First Order is literally the new Empire. I'm tired to see that we behead the snake and it grows a new head shortly after. Frankly, I don't understand why your parents and the general can't see this. They should know better. If you want to fight a war you can't win, then you must do it without me. May the Force be with you, you will need it."
He emptied his glass in one go, stood up and left the cantina.
The two Rendars looked after him and shook their heads.