Chapter 37 - LETTER

((WARNING: Possible Triggers))

"Annabeth?" Percy whispered worriedly. He put his hand on her back. She'd been checking her phone every 20 seconds. "What's the matter, baby?"

Annabeth shook her head and smiled at him. "It's nothing. Just checking on a friend."

He frowned. "Who?"

She hesitated. "Someone I met on my way home from your house on Saturday." Annabeth shrugged. "No big deal." She shoveled some food into her mouth so that he wouldn't ask more questions. She hadn't told him about saving Hazel on the bridge. Hazel was only 12, and she'd been so scared after Annabeth had gotten her to the safe side of the rail that Annabeth didn't have the heart to tell anyone. She didn't want to tell anyone. Ever. It was Hazel's story to tell, not Annabeth's, and until Hazel said she could tell someone, she wouldn't go into detail... As much as she loved Percy, this was one thing she couldn't tell him. Her phone buzzed softly and she opened the text from Hazel.

'They're talking about me. I don't know what to do. We're going over the bridge...' Annabeth bit her lip, glancing at Percy.

"I'll be right back, baby." She said before kissing his cheek. "I love you."

"I love you, too." He said, watching her as she grabbed her phone and walked away. She went into the library and called Hazel.

"Annabeth?" Hazel's voice was shaky. "I... I don't know what to do... They're saying I should jump... They pushed me into the railing... What do I do?" She was panicking. Terrified.

"Where's the teacher?" Annabeth said quietly, in a little nook of the library.

"At the front. They're blocking me, and I... I can't get to her!" Hazel whimpered. She was crying, too.

"Tell them to back off. Try not to sound scared. Tell them to get away from you and walk past them. Don't let them think you're scared of them." Annabeth insisted.

"O-Okay..." Her voice quivered. Annabeth bit the nail on her index finger. She felt nervous, scared. Not as bad as Hazel probably felt, but she was still scared.

"Annabeth?" She looked up to see Percy walking towards her. He was frowning, looking confused. "What are you doing?"

"I-" Annabeth cut off.

"I did it!" Hazel's voice came on through her phone. "They're leaving me alone!"

"That's great! I- I gotta go. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Okay!" Hazel hung up. Annabeth bit her bottom lip, bouncing her phone between her hands.

"Uh... Who- Who was that?" Percy asked.

"The friend I met on Saturday," Annabeth said.

"Right... Do I know them?" He shrugged. Annabeth shook her head. Percy huffed, reaching up and scratching the back of his neck with his hand. "Least you're not cheating on me with someone I know."

Annabeth's stomach dropped. "What?"

"You think I wouldn't notice? You're distant. You don't tell me everything. You got mad at me the other day for trying to find out what was bothering you... I'm not stupid." He shook his head. His green eyes looked sad, tears growing in them.

"I'm not cheating on you!" Annabeth said. "Percy, you're my best friend! I love you!"

"Then tell me what's wrong!" He snapped. She jumped, whimpering. "Because I have no reason to believe that you're not cheating on me!"

"Percy, you know me." Her voice was broken. "You know I'd never do that."

"Then tell me what is going on!" He strode forward, putting his hands on the side of her face. She felt her breath shake.