XXIV

Jane had led me up the stairs and straight across the lanky corridor towards a wooden door. The letter 'J' painted in bold black paint was in the center of the door. I watched as Jane's pale slender fingers reached down to her breast and pulled out a single silver key. With the key in her grasp, she unlocked the door and pushed it open. She waltzed into her room and turned around beckoning me to follow her with a wave of her hand. I hesitantly followed after, kind of suspicious as to why Jane was being so nice to me. 

   Underneath that cold, stoneless killer mindset laid a gentle, sweet, caring persona which is  Jane. She was forced to be who she is now. I had come to learn that Jane still has her sanity at bay. Even though I wasn't forced to do anything like her, I come to figure out that we really are alike. I am curious as to why Slenderman assigned BEN as my "caretaker" and not Jane. So, I asked her, "Hey Jane." Her curly black locks bounced as her attention focused on me. "What's up?". "Do you know why Slender made BEN in charge of me and not you? I mean BEN is an elf asshole and we have no problem with each other.", I pointed out. "I'm guessing this is a punishment to BEN for being such an asshole.", Jane giggled. Me, a punishment? I shook my head and forced a laugh in response. 

   Jane and I were talking for what felt like HOURS. I never had held a real conversation with someone like this in practically years. How crazy that my first real friend is a killer? I mean, how crazy is it that I'm a witch?... I inhaled deeply only to exhale a long yawn. As if it triggered Jane, she asked, "Hm what time is it?". "No clue, I'm not a watch.", I retorted slowly laying down on Janes bed while Jane hopped up and pressed her hands on the small of her back. "I'll ask BEN where your room is."  Too tired to even process what Jane just said, I just let out an exasperated hmm in response as she left. 

   Time seemed to slow as my eyelids grew more heavy. What seemed like blinks were actually time lapses of sleep. Slowly but surely Jane had returned with BEN but only to see me sleeping. My eyes shot open to stare up at a blonde elf. My head turned quickly trying to figure out where I was by searching its surroundings. My eyes were adjusting to the dark aura. My brain started gluing pieces together to discover that I was being carried by BEN. I tried jumping out of his arms and screeched. My actions alarming BEN caused him to drop me. "What the fuck..", I groaned rubbing my now aching head. "You, what the fuck? How about me, what the fuck?", BEN shouted throwing his arms in the air. I only glared up at him. "What? I was trying to take you to your room! You wouldn't wake up so I had to resort to plan B! HEY! DON'T GIVE ME THAT LOOK!.", BEN yelled in defense as my glare intensified. 

  "Shut up fairy boy and show me to my room.", I growled. BEN offered his arm towards me, I ignored it and stood up on my own. I pursed my lips and spoke, "Lead the way.", outstretching my arm. BEN opened his mouth about to say something but just closed it and let out low grumbles as he marched down the hallway. Me, being close behind him. 

   The walk with BEN was full of awkward silence. You could practically hear a pin drop, no joke. It was so quiet that I could hear my own heartbeat. "Are we almost there?", I groaned throwing my head back. I was greeted with no response. "Come on, we've been walking forever!", I complained. Well, it was true, the hallway was neverending. "Stop complaining, its either you bear with the walk or you sleep with me.", I could hear the smirk on BEN's face. 

  After more intervals of silent travel, we rounded this thick, black, ooze which was in place in a doorway. My face scrunched up in disgust and confusion. "Well, here we are. Your room.", BEN spoke show placing off the door. My eyes widened, "You're kidding me, right?". "Nope.", BEN stated, clicking his tongue. "Now, enter your home sweet home.", BEN poked the black goo. "How the fuck am I suppose to enter if there's THIS blocking the way?", I snapped crossing my arms over my chest. "I don't know, Slender said that this was some special door that only you can open with your powers.", BEN shrugged. "My powers? I have never even used my powers before!", I exclaimed. "Well better start now since you start training tomorrow."

  I looked up at BEN dumbfoundedly. "Go on Hocus Pocus, open the door.", BEN tried edging me on. I sighed, inhaling a sharp breath and closing my eyes. I tried to focus on the door. This subtle warmth started to form at the tips of my fingers. I concentrated further.  I heard BEN gasp and I quickly opened my eyes looking at the door. Only, to see that nothing changed. "Nothing happened.", BEN acted shocked. I growled and shoved him by the shoulders. I returned back to the same stance as before but this time I kept my eyes opened. I started to feel a faint warmth generate in my fingertips in small tingles. I bit my lip and started to walk forward, the warmth now engulfed my whole body. 

  I made my way towards the goo, staring intently as if I could control it. My eyes bore into the blackness as I stepped into the goo. My whole body is engulfed by the goo as I made my way to the other side. I let in a deep breath as I hunched down over my knees trying to catch my breath. "Holy shit.", I heard BEN from the other side. "You actually did it.".  I ignored him as my eyes scanned across the dimly lit room. 

  "Oh, (Y/N).", BEN spoke. "Yes?". "I see you getting close to Jane.", I heard BEN's voice grow soft, laced with...concern? "Do me a favor and please, stay away from her." "What?", I snapped, confused. "I said.", BEN cleared his throat, growing stern. 

"Stay away from Jane.".