Flashback

Arthit's POV

Every last cell in my body was screaming as I plopped down on the soft sand of the beach, the chilled beer in my glass sloshing around a little, before I rushed it to my lips and took a good long gulp. Man, these 19 year olds had totally worn me out. How the fuck do they have so much energy to cause non-stop problems. My voice had almost run out with all the yelling and screeching I had done for the past three days.

Phew!

Atleast the freshman trip was finally over. And now I could go back to not growling at the first years every chance they did something stupid. Which they managed to do like 15 times a day. Kids, I tell you, getting crazier every year. I don't remember me and my gang being so....so cheeky with our seniors.

Especially that Kong.

Boy, did he rub off against me every chance he got. Constantly challenging everything I said. Loving the spot light that came with clashing with the head hazer. Not leaving even a single opportunity to make a heroic stance against the evil overlords, aka me. Which obviously left all the boys applauding and most of the girls swooning.

You know what was weird though? I didn't actually mind the battle of wills. The constant push and pull we had for the few months since the first day of hazing, was weirdly kind of fun. In fact having someone stand up for the first years sort of took the edge off the constant bullying it would have turned out to be otherwise. I was not at all looking forward to the inevitable guilt trip I would have to take if it turned out the newbies ended up hating the idea of college as soon as they had begun. And yet the next year four years were going to be grueling for them if they couldn't handle a few annoying seniors. Well, thanks to one particularly prickly junior, the past months were more than bearable for all of us.

And if it sounds like I am praising Kong a little too much, you are right. That is exactly what I am doing. Duh!

I like him. He was a good kid. It's as simple as that. I know I barely met him only a few months ago, and most of the time we have done little other than butted our heads, and yet I found him...endearing.

I don't think I have ever described another guy with that word before. And normally you wouldn't catch me dead being so mushy, gushy about another human being, including my best friend. But with Kong somehow it felt it was a little different. 5 minutes after our first battle and I was sure we would be friends for the rest of eternity. Something in my soul just clicked. Like I have known him in some past life. And I will do so again in future ones.

Too melodramatic?

Yeah, I thought so too. Either ways, you get what I am trying to say. Kong and me? Destined to be friends.

Which is why I was not at all caught off guard when there was a sudden plop next to me. The musky warmth shielding me from the gushing wind. A very typical wide smile gracing his face as he settled down comfortably beside me. An overflowing glass of alcohol in each hand.

"Thirsty huh?"

"Yup!"

The grin on his face just getting wider as he took in a long sip. The beer foam making a funny little moustache on his upper lip.

"Don't over do it."

"Oh c'mon P, you can't tell me to stop now. I am celebrating this torture finally ending."

"Torture? Really?"

"Oh sorry, hazing. Which is totally not the same as torture. Just that I have done so many squats in the past three months that my thigh muscles can squash melons."