Chapter 42 : Funeral ( OBLIVION)

Are you going to age with grace?
Are you going to age without mistakes?
Are you going to age with grace?
Oh only to wake and hide your face,
When oh oh oblivion
Is calling out your name
You always take it further,
than I ever can.
Oblivion , Bastille
( this is an amazing song. Give it a hear if you can )
*
*
*
Present

Black is a really dark colour. There was once a time, when I absolutely loved the colour. Amanda used to say that it stood in a good stark contrast against my blue-green eyes. But that was before everything happened. Before Katherine had died. After that one incident with Kyle when I was a kid, Katherine was like my support rock. You know how high school kids are, always finding several ways to bully you. I in fact had started believing them at one point in my live. But Katherine kept me alive through the most of it. So her death came as a big shock to me. I lost my everything.

I stood in front of the mirror, once again running a hand softly over the invisible creases of the black dress. My eyes met the eyes of my reflection and I was momentarily stunned by how much I had changed. Those dark circles and paleness did very little to hide the inner turmoil that I was going through. How my life had changed in the last few years, I can never make anybody understand. A soft knock pulled me out of my train of thoughts.

"Ashley", Miranda softly called out. I blinked and two tiny tear drops fell from my eyes. I thought I was done crying.

"I umm, I'll be there in a minute."

"You don't have to go, if you-"

"No, I'm fine. I will go. Just give me a minute."

I promised myself that I would not attend a funeral ever again. But here I am. Somewhere I  feel that watching the body slowly get buried, will give me peace. Help me sleep better at night. I closed the door of the room and went downstairs.

"Miranda", I said once I intercepted her, "could you stay with me for a few days? The silence of these halls will kill me slowly."

"Of course Ashley, here now, don't cry."

But I couldn't stop. Every single corner reminds me of him. I had never thought that there will  be a time when I have to live without Liam. I just cant. I cant stay in this house without him.

"I feel awful here M-Miranda.", I felt my knees go weak but I was scooped up just in time by Theo.

"A-And Emily, she died trying to save me."

"Ashley", Theo said, "Kyle is gone. For good this time. Don't worry, everything will fall right back into it's place."

"I need to go to this funeral.", I unconsciously stated.

"Okay, we'll take you there."

Miranda, Theo , Lucas and I sat in the car and I saw the mansion fading in the rear-view mirror. I didn't answer anyone when they kept asking if I needed anything, or if I was okay. There was only one feeling. I was numb. I reiterated  the time I met him at the nightclub. How he had saved me from those drunkards. When he became my boss to torment me everyday, when we got married, the disastrous honeymoon.

"We are here."

God help me.

I tightened my hold on the flower bouquet as we all made our way to the ceremony. And then my eyes fell upon the man dressed in black. Almost immediately he too looked my way, and we were caught in an awkward situation.

Mr. Smith.

*************

"HELP! Somebody please help my husband, please!", I cried out as I squirmed in the chair, still tied.