Chapter 20 : New Leaf (TWENTY TWO)

I don't know about you but I'm feeling 22
Everything will be alright, if you keep me next to you
You don't know about me, but I bet you want to
Everything will be alright, if we just keep dancing like we're 22, 22

Taylor Swift, 22

*
*
*
Past (5 years ago)

Walking through corridors wasn't really something that I liked very much. Maths was boring as usual. Sometimes I really wonder what I'm doing with my life.
I had no friends here, in college. My only best friend was Katherine, who died three years ago in a plane crash. It feels like it was yesterday when she was blabbering about her trip to Australia. She was so excited, her eyes had a different spark and the sides crinkled in excitement. Unfortunately that was the last memory I have of her. I cried clinging on to her, as she was my only friend and honestly, I didn't know how I'd survive the summer without her. She promised me that she'd call me when she landed. But that moment never came.
She never called. She died.

I started having nightmares after that. She was the one I had, I relied upon. She was my dear best friend, my Katherine. People began ignoring me, some blamed me for not being a good friend, some pitied me.

Opening my locker brought me out of my trance. I was keeping my books when the sound of heels clicking caught my attention.

" Well, well, if it isn't Miss. Paranoia. "

I rolled my eyes. I really had enough of her games," What do you want Isabella? "

" For the hundredth time, it's Bella. And you're my daily dose of entertainment. How can I stay away from you sweetheart? "

I ignored her and looked back towards my locker.
" Who's this young girl? ", she asked.
I frowned and looked towards her. In her hands was the picture of me and Katherine from when we were 15.
" Give it back to me. " ,I tried snatching it away. But she only held it higher.
" Wow, Ashley, who's this girl, huh? Sister? Lover? ", and then she along with the entire corridor started laughing.
Tears began stringing my eyes. Then my eyes landed on Liam. He was looking all confused. I looked away embarrassed, " Please Bella, just give it back to me."
I hated begging but I could do nothing about it. I left bad for being so weak. The shackles of past situations had made me a weak person.
" Or what? Huh Ash-"
Suddenly she stopped. I looked up to see Liam holding my picture and glaring at Isabella. Here comes more taunting, I guess.

"B-babe, what are you doing? Give me the picture. ", she said whispering.

" Why? Is it yours? ", this was the first time I heard him talk being so close to me. Shivers ran down my spine on hearing his deep, husky voice.

"I thought so. Seriously Bella when will you grow up? ", he shouted. People were looking at us now, like we were a piece of meat.

" Liam what are you doing?! People are looking. Babe stop! ",she whisper yelled.

" Or what? You can stop your games by the way. You're a major piece of shit that I wish to dispose. You are nothing to me. " ,people gasped, "your games and innocent act are some of the things I hate. But you know what I hate the most? Your face and your filthy character. "

" Liam! ", she shouted.

"Shut up Bella!" ,he handed me the picture and took my hand. Shivers ran down my spine and my face started heating up, " and do us a favour. Get a life and stay the hell away from this girl. "