Chapter 26

Chapter Twenty-Six:

Gavin's car had pulled to a stop in front of my building, and he quickly got out and came around to open my door.

"A gentleman, as always," I smiled.

"I've seen my fair share of romance movies," He grinned.

"Oh gee, don't make me question your manhood or anything."

"I'm all man! You saw my fastball today!" Gavin pointed out.

"Whoa no need to get defensive," I joked. "And I think the correct phrase is: you almost hit me with your fastball today."

It was Wednesday night, and Gavin had asked me to go play some baseball with him at a high school around here. He picked me up and brought me there, and even though it was just to two of us, we had a fun time playing some ball. He even brought a basket full of cookies, peanut butter sandwiches, and chips. Not to mention the savory Coca-Cola.

Gavin, however, tried to show off a little, and his pitch almost hit me square in the head.

"Okay, so the accuracy may not have been there, but the speed was!" He defended once again.

"If ya say so," I taunted, but I couldn't help but think that Will's pitches were twice as fast. And recently, his have even gotten a little faster. I would know, I do his stats for a living. It is not me obsessing, not at all. It's my job to know all that.

A silence lapsed over us, so instead of letting it tensify, I said, "Well I should probably get going. Thanks again for driving me back, I had a nice time."

"Yeah no problem! I did too," He smiled in a way that was so genuine I felt guilty, which is most definitely not something I should be feeling after our carefree, fun afternoon.

Feeling the air thicken outside my building, I said "I'll see you round then."

The smile of his widened, "Yeah." His voice is so rich and pleasant, undoubtedly a voice that has girls falling at his feet. That's the thing about him, he's the total package. A great catch.

So why do I feel guilty of his genuine smile?

He leans in toward me, eyes flickering to my lips and for the fourth time this last week, I awkwardly yet smoothly dodged any lip to lip contact.

"Have a, uh, good rest of your evening," I muttered, not so smoothly this time. I didn't hear his response as I turned around in a hasty rush to leave the discomfort.

Slow moving on the trek up nine flights of stairs, I mumbled incoherent sentences to myself. Mostly cursing my awful social skills and my tendency to make an idiot of myself.

Gavin is the ideal guy, one that mothers and fathers envision their daughters marrying. He's charming, has a great sense of humor, he's athletic, and he's great at managing money. Add that to the fact that he's drop dead gorgeous, and there really isn't much wrong with him.

So what's wrong with me? Why do I feel so platonic towards him?

Elise didn't waste a second greeting me when I opened the door.

"Let me guess, no action yet again?"

I huffed in response and made my way to the kitchen. "There doesn't have to be any so soon. It's not like I'm in a rush."

"Oh heavens do you even hear yourself?" Elise groaned. "You and Gavin have been basically in this dating limbo for what, a month? And you still haven't kissed the guy! That's not normal, you know."

I didn't have any reply but to shrug. What was I supposed to even respond to that?

"You know why you haven't?"