Chapter 21

Chapter Twenty-One:

We didn't stick around The Plaza much longer after that. We all went back to Will's place so Elise and I could get our stuff and say goodbye to the boys for the week. It wasn't mushy at all, at least not for me and Will. Andrew and Elise said a 'private' goodbye in the other room while Will gave me a quick hug. Not much worth noting.

Strangely enough, the week without them felt almost empty.

And also crazy.

I had a lot on my plate at work, as at the end of the week the company would be hiring on a few interns permanently in the accounting department. Meaning we would be an employee. With actual pay. The thought made me all jittery and excited, yet also uncontainably nervous.

What if I wasn't hired on?

I'd be officially and royally screwed, probably forced to pick up full time shifts at the Ale House.

"Uh oh," Gavin responded next to me in the break room, causing me to jump a little and blink at him.

"What's wrong?"

He stared at my face as though he was scrutinizing me. "You face was all scrunched up," He commented, mocking my face by scrunching up his eyebrows. "I thought your brain was going to erupt like a volcano or something."

I grinned at his comment and let a small chuckle betray me. "I'm fine, no need to worry," I assured.

"I wasn't worried about you," Gavin spoke up instantly, causing me to raise my eyebrows. "No, in fact, I was actually worried about what would happen to my suit if your brain did explode. I just got it last week, it was kind of expensive and I highly doubt the stain of brain chunks would wash out easily."

My jaw dropped and I shoved his shoulder, "Gavin!" But I was laughing, and he was smiling proudly from ear to ear.

"What?" He asked, feigning innocence.

I rolled my eyes, "Are you still an immature teenage boy inside?"

"Sophia, I am twenty eight years old," He defended. "And one hundred ninety pounds of pure man."

I laughed again, it was just so easy to with Gavin. "Still have the ego of one too?"

His lips quirked up again, and there was a short silence before he spoke up more seriously, "So what's on your mind?"

Deciding not to tell him about the professional baseball player on my mind, I instead settled on what else was occupying my thoughts. "Today is Thursday." Gavin nodded in recognition at my obvious statement. "Which means tomorrow is Friday," I continued, and Gavin nodded again.

"Tomorrow is the moment of truth," I sighed miserably. "As to whether or not I'll be hired on the payroll for real."

Almost instantly, Gavin offered up a wide and reassuring smile. "Don't worry about it! You're hands down the most qualified intern we have. You're overqualified, really."

I rolled my eyes, but couldn't help a small smile. "I hope you're right." I averted my eyes from him and instead focused on fiddling with the metal part on top of my Coca-Cola can before taking a long, savory sip. No matter what my mood is, this sugary and caffeinated beverage has a knack for giving me a moment of blissful ignorance.

"Hey, don't stress! Besides, at this point you've already done everything you could. I nodded, because he was right. The decision comes out tomorrow, so it's not like I can really do much to change anything anyways.

"What are your plans tonight?" Gavin suddenly asked.

I shrugged, still analyzing my Coke can. "Nothing, really. I'll probably go home and wallow in self-doubt while drowning myself in Harrison Ford movies."