Chapter 23

Chapter Twenty-Three:

One month has passed since I lost my job as an accountant and gained one as a statistician. Needless to say, these last few weeks have been crazy busy.

The people at the stats office loved me, but that was probably because Will put in a good word. Again, being friends with a star athlete really does have its perks. Everyone at the office was so friendly, and insanely intelligent. Everyone jokes around all the time and there's always pizza ordered before game time. It was a refreshing change from the rigid and dull atmosphere I was in before.

Though there is a lot of fun that comes with the job, catching up to the speed of the statistician office was a bit hectic. Even though the Yankees are a seasonal team, the job is year round. I'll be involved for the stats of other teams as well, such as the New York Knicks and the New York Giants, but my main contribution will be to the Yankees.

There's a lot of chaos at the office during game time, as we all watch the game from different angles on multiple screens, then record information on the high tech software we have. It was a bit much to get started, but luckily the first few games I've been shadowing the guy I'm replacing, and he is helping to train me. His name was Bill, and he was an older man that was retiring after thirty years of doing stats for the Yankees. He wanted to wait until the end of the season, but for health reasons, he had to call it quits in the middle.

Next Friday is Bill's last day, and then I will be taking over his job full time. Good timing, because Will and Andrew got a hold of two front row tickets for us at next Tuesday's game, and I'll be able to make it.

Admittedly, it had been really interesting to be so involved in the behind the scenes scope of a professional sports team. I had no idea all the time, brains, and effort that went in to team strategy. But now I realize that if it wasn't for all of us, the Yankees wouldn't know truly know their strengths and weaknesses. Or at least they would have to do all the work themselves.

It makes us all feel important. We get to be part of the team! Well, at least in our own minds.

Will's game has been as impressive as ever, and I have to say it can be a little distracting when I'm trying to do my work. I've gotten better since the first game, but a couple times Bill would laugh at me and tell me to keep my eye on the other ball.

Good Lord that made my face flame up. For an old man he has a really saucy sense of humor.

Though I've been seeing Will plenty on the TV screen, I haven't seen him as much in person. With all the endorsements he has been getting and the commercial deal he just landed with Subway, he has a lot to keep him going and it's difficult to fit any time into his schedule. I've tried not to think about him and how often I wish I was by his side, and luckily I have my new job to distract me (even though it centers around Will).

Curse that boy.

Well, I still see him several times a week, but for some reason it still doesn't feel like as much as I want. Things have been going pretty well between us. It usually has us engaged in our juvenile banter or causing more mayhem on the streets of NYC. Thankfully, there haven't been any more UFC fighters that want our blood.

And Gavin? To say he was upset about me not getting the job would be an understatement. He was shocked and angry, definitely. We met up the week after the whole ordeal and had a cup to drink at the knock-off Central Perk.

"It's complete bullshit," Gavin had gone on about it.

"Gavin, it's seriously fine," I had repeated a dozen times.

"No it's not!" He had insisted.

"It's really okay!" It pretty much went like this the first ten minutes of our meeting together.