Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve:

Will and I were quick to get off the plane, and it helped that we didn't have to get our bags from baggage claim since we both just had carry-on duffle bags.

"Come on, Whitney said she's here to take us to the hospital," Will informed me as he took my hand in his and pulled me with him through the airport. The familiar warmth was tingling in my hand like it used to oh so many years ago, but I didn't let it get to my head.

"Is he here in Boston?" I asked Will.

"I think he's just outside the city. My sister said she knows where it is." Whitney, Will's sister, lives in an apartment complex in Boston. Will and I used to come up every few months back in the day, but it will definitely save time to have Whitney drive us since she knows the ropes around here better.

We stepped outside and Will quickly found Whitney's car before we both dashed over to it. She seemed startled when we both slid into the back seat because she nearly dropped her phone.

"Hey guys," She greeted before adjusting her position.

I mustered a smile and Will said, "Hey sis."

Whitney put the car in drive and pulled away from the airport, "How was the flight?"

"It was quick," Will answered for us.

"How are you doing, Sophia?" She asked sympathetically and I saw her look at me in the rear view mirror.

I forced another small smile, "I'm okay." It was a small fib. Inside I felt like a jumble of nerves but I was forcing myself to think positive until I knew what was really up.

There was a silence after that, but Will and I both noticed at an all-knowing, but sad, smile on her face.

Puzzled, Will asked "What are you so smiley about?"

Her smile grew a little wider, "Oh nothing." Will raised his eyebrows and Whitney added, "It's just, really great to see you two together again."

Even though Will and I weren't 'together-together' I still felt my face tint pink. I didn't look at him, but I imagine Will was smirking slightly beside me. Around this point, I realized we were on the freeway, and it seemed like we were heading in the direction of Ramsey.

"Is this hospital this far out of town?" I asked Whitney.

Whitney's eyes met mine in the rear view mirror again, and I felt a pit in my stomach. "Sophia, your mom got a hold of me, and asked that I just take you home."

"But," I began confused, "Why?"

Whitney's sad eyes said it all. Words weren't needed.

My mind didn't really believe it, but in the depths of my heart, I knew that Grandpa was gone.

*****

The rest of the drive was driven in almost complete silence. My mind was in a huge cloud and I didn't have any coherent thoughts. I barely even noticed that Will had my hand in his again and was rubbing reassuring circles on the back of my hand with his thumb.

Surprisingly, it did help to calm me down a little, even though my heart briefly sped up when I first noticed.

We arrived at my house and I nearly fell out of the car in my hurry to get out, forgetting to say anything to Whitney and Will. After nearly falling, I picked myself up and ran in to the house. As I entered the living room, all five other members of my family jumped in surprise.

"Sophia!" My mom called, relief and heartbreak both clear in her voice.

I didn't say anything, just stared at my mom with questioning eyes. She simply shook her head and I felt my eyes burning in pain.