Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen:

This Monday could not be any more painful.

For starters, I was back at work again for the first time since last Monday. And it's safe to say that something about the office is a little more tense than usual. Maybe that's because April 15th is in one week, and that means taxes. You know what else that means? I stack of papers eleven inches high for me to file. Something tells me that none of the other nimrod interns picked up the slack from when I was gone.

Real shocker there.

Not only that, but I was positively exhausted, on so many levels. Of course this last week has been mentally draining. I'm actually thinking that the tedious task of filing papers will give me time to recover.

Well, hopefully.

I'm also physically exhausted as well. Will and I took the same plane back to New York, and it kept on getting delayed, and delayed, and delayed, to the point where we could have driven back to New York in the amount of time we spent at the airport. Long story short, I was supposed to be back at my apartment around six o'clock, and it ended up being almost midnight by the time I was nestled in to my own bed.

So how was it with Will after my little outburst? Well truthfully, I only saw him in brief increments for the rest of the weekend. He came over every morning to join me while I watched Friends. At first, in all honesty, I felt completely awkward. I mean I basically spilled out my feelings to him. What did he think of everything I had said? He didn't say anything about it. I didn't know if I should be relieved or upset about it.

Frick. That boy always manages to complicate my life.

Our airport time largely consisted of us playing card games, because I had a deck of cards in my duffel bag and we didn't know what else to do. I'm known for bringing them on trips, specifically in case of situations like this. Still, it surprised me that Will asked if I had cards, since he said I always do. In the end, he beat me at pretty much everything, unfortunately. I'm a horrible liar and you need to have a good poker face to play most card games.

I covered my mouth as a yawn escaped my lips, sure to keep my manners in place. Supporting myself on the file cabinet became a necessity to stay awake, and next thing I knew, there was two dollars in front of me.

Surprised, I turned around to see Gavin behind me, with a sheepish grin on his face. "Go down to the third floor and buy yourself a caffeinated soda from the vending machine," He suggested.

"Oh thank you! Gavin, you're the best!" I said with desperation in my voice.

Gavin chuckled and seemed to be relieved for some reason. "Here I'll go with you."

We walked together out of the office and into the elevator, where Gavin struck up another conversation. "So how are you?"

Looking up at him and seeing the genuine concern in his blue eyes made me sigh, "I'm a little less than okay." Or a lot less. But I'm trying to do better.

"I'm sorry, Sophia," Gavin sympathized, and while I knew he was trying to be friendly, I couldn't help but feel detachment. Everyone always apologizes for death, and I appreciate the sympathy, but it wasn't anyone's fault.

"Thanks," I said.

"Was it nice seeing your family again though?"

I forced a weak smile, "Yeah it was, my brothers have gotten so tall though!" I tried a change of subject, and thankfully Gavin took the bait. I had just seen the twins a few weeks ago, so it wasn't as if their height was alarming this visit. Still, it's weird to see them so tall and it is an easy topic to approach.