Chapter 6

Chapter Six:

Naturally, after spilling out basically my whole life story, I couldn't sleep to save my life. I tossed and turned, but my eyes would not close. Finally, at 4:00 am, I gave up on trying to sleep and instead went to take a shower and get ready.

Elise would probably be asleep until ten, and our flight didn't leave until 6 tonight, so I decided to take the time now to go see my grandpa.

Grandpa and I had been close for as long as I can remember, and right now, he's currently in a senior home a little over a half hour away, a couple towns over. I always visit him when I'm here, and as I kid, I went to visit him at least once a week. Once Will could drive, he'd drive us both out there and visit my grandpa with me. I went every weekend in high school.

Upon arrival, it wasn't hard to find my grandpa. He was always in one of three places: his chair in the TV room, the garden, or a table in the dining room. When I arrived, the woman at the desk greeted me and told me my grandpa was sitting at the table waiting for breakfast, even though it wouldn't be served for a half hour. I thanked her and set off to find Grandpa.

I successfully found him, and I smiled fondly. It had been so long since I'd last seen him, and to be honest, I felt like a shitty granddaughter for that. I mean who knows how much time he has left? I should have come to visit him sooner. It worries me when I don't, even though he is in relatively good health.

"Grandpa!" I said happily, bearing a wide grin before walking over to him. He didn't shake from the trance he was in until I hugged him. He blinked at first, startled by my appearance. He didn't ask who I was, but I could tell by his confused expression.

I forced him a sad smile, "It's me, Sophie Bug." I referred to myself with the nickname he used to call me in hopes that it would ring a bell. It did and he smiled happily.

"Oh of course! I'm sorry Sophie Bug, you know how my mind is going," he joked lightheartedly. I was relieved. At first I thought that his condition had gotten a lot worse since I was here last year, but he seemed to be acting back to how he was before and joking around. Knowing him, maybe he was even just giving me a bad time for my extended absence.

"Hey G-Pops!" I said jokingly. "How are you doing?"

He nodded slowly, "I'm okay." I gave him a small smile and he added, "I'll surely be better after some French toast and a game of chess with my granddaughter!" I laughed and sat in the seat across from him.

*****

"Check," Grandpa said smugly before sitting back in his chair. I scrutinized the board, then moved my dragon to kill his bishop. Grandpa sighed, and I thought I detected him mutter a curse word before taking his next move.

"You and William talking much now a days?" Grandpa asked nonchalantly while analyzing the board over his glasses. My inner self smiled at Grandpa calling him William – Grandpa was the only one Will allowed to call him William, which I always found to be endearing.

I pursed my lips, keeping in my frustration with Will before shaking my head, "No, we don't anymore, Grandpa."

Grandpa nodded and I took my turn, "That's too bad. You two were really quite the pals back in the day." Grandpa just adored Will. Ever since we were little, he would embarrass me to death and tease us about getting married. In fact, through all that has happened, he is still dead set on that happening.

"Exactly, it was back in the day," I pointed out as he moved his pawn.

"When did you last see him?" I held back my whining, hating that I was yet again having to talk about Will, but not wanting to be disrespectful to Grandpa. I'd already spent the whole night thinking about Will, though. Or rather, the last two days. I was hoping that is have a nice distraction by coming here, but I guess not.

Whenever You Rememberजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें