Chapter 20

Chapter Twenty:

Working the morning shift at the Eli's Ale House was one of the weirdest things. I suppose it wasn't that early, considering it opened at ten o'clock and I had to be there at nine-thirty. Usually I wake up around seven or seven-thirty to get to the accounting firm by nine, so today I woke up at about the regular time. But as I was saying. I woke up Saturday morning to work the early ale house shift before the Yankee game that night, and I was expecting it to be the calm before the evening storm.

By ten forty-five, there was a stunning amount of people waiting in the front to be seated. It was quite overwhelming, and I wasn't even the hostess this morning. "Holy crap, is there always this many people that come for breakfast?" I asked Hannah in passing. I was grateful she was working so I had someone to fill me in on the usual habits of this place.

"Only on the weekends," She informed me. "Some of these big bellied guys are here at almost all hours; it's the beer pancakes and waffles that get them off their lazy asses in the morning." I chuckled at the truth behind that. Earlier this week, I saw a guy here who was wearing the exact same outfit he wore the day before. There was even the same ketchup stain. Most of the people that come here aren't so unhygienic, this man just happened to be the most prime example of the lazy butts Hannah was referring to. "Plus, the kid's menu has some killer deals, not to mention tastes amazing. It brings in the families."

I nodded, understanding what she was saying. There was definitely several families with young children here, giving parents a chance to come to the ale house early in the day, since people under twenty-one aren't allowed in after three.

"Here, can you take tables seven, nine, and ten their orders?" Hannah asked, handing me her order slips, then adding more quietly, "I really need to take a break before the ole tank blows."

I laughed, "I will handle it."

"Thanks! You just saved my bladder," She joked before rushing off to the back. I had to kind of laugh that Hannah was several years older than me, yet she cracked these bathroom jokes in a restaurant. It was pretty entertaining.

I looked at the order slips and took the appropriate trays to their tables. At this point, I was thanking my lucky stars that I had waitressed at the little cafe in my hometown, and at a cute restaurant over by Columbia. Without any background in the business, I wouldn't have been able to handle all the chaos of the morning shift.

"So you got any other weekend plans?" Hannah asked me as she took a sip of her water in the break room. We ended our shifts around three o'clock, so right now we were clocking out and getting ready to head out for the night.

I took my hair out of its loose ponytail and inspected it in the mirror. "Tonight I've got tickets to the Yankee game, but other than that I don't really have much else going."

"Damn you!" Hannah cursed, and I sent her a teasing look. If there's one thing I've learned about her, it's that she is a very intense Yankee fan. Well, and her voice always sounds like it's projecting in to a megaphone. "I wish I could see all that man flesh. Especially in those baseball pants. They're all damn good looking," She droned.

Laughing, I tried to act nonchalant, "They're alright."

She scoffed, "Oh please, you know they're mighty fine. And don't act like you don't know, I saw the way you looked at Harvey, that rookie guy!"

"What are you even talking about?"

"When he came here after their game! Come on. You know what I'm talking about. You two wouldn't have noticed me even if I was dancing around on the counter butt naked."

"Hannah!" I hissed, still cracking a smile at her joke.

She laughed, "All I'm saying is that it's pretty obvious you two have the hots for each other."