Chapter 2

Chapter Two:

I filed the last paper in the cabinet and slammed it shut. Everyone in the office likes to put their papers in the bin for filing on the same day, and it's always torture to file every single paper. I think they only do it to mess with me, really.

I'm an intern at a corporation in Manhattan, and my degree in finance has me in the accounting department. Originally, I had planned on working my way in to the stock broking world. After graduating, though, I realized I wanted more experience with money and my degrees in statistics and finance before embarking on that adventure.

There are six of us interns in this wing, and they're going to pick two to come on board with them at the end of May, which is about ten weeks from now. I think I'm pretty much a shoe-in for the job. I'm the only one who actually does any work. Right now, I can see Collin sitting in someone else's desk chair while he spins in circles and blows bubbles with his gum. So professional, right?

Good Lord. And then there's Zoe, and all she does it flirt with all the older businessmen. It's disgusting, really. She has black hair, and she always wears that dark and seductive red lipstick. You know those people who somehow make their business clothes have a sex appeal? Yeah, that's Zoe. Right now, she's sitting on a man's desk, and he's got to be at least fifteen years older than her. But of course, she was acting all flirty, leaning over his keyboard, trying to make all her movements slow and sexy, touching him whenever she has the chance – even if it's just a playful shove on the shoulder. And I know that you know exactly what I'm talking about; we've all seen it at one point or another.

I heard a plop behind me and I whipped around to see a brand new thick stack of papers in the bin I just spent almost an hour emptying. Surprisingly, I had enough will power to keep from yanking out my light blond hair. If I wasn't in a professional work environment, I surely would have done it.

Hastily, I began to file the papers when a voice came up behind me, "How about those papers, Sophia?" I turned around to roll my eyes at Gavin, who was almost like my boss, but we are decent friends. He was the one who was teaching me the ropes around here, but my main boss is the man above Gavin, Mr. Sommers. Gavin's about twenty eight, and he must be doing pretty well here because all his suits look really expensive.

Look at what New York has done to me. I now determine a man's wealth based on how nice his business suits are.

"Oh it's going fabulously," I replied with a hint if sarcasm as I put more papers into the cabinet.

Gavin chuckled and leaned against the filing cabinet, "So are you still heading back to Massachusetts this weekend?"

"Yeah, it should be interesting."

"How long has it been since you went back?" Gavin asked.

"I went back for Christmas a few months ago, but before that it had been about eight months," I wish my family could come here sometimes instead of me always going there. Everything in Ramsey just reminds me of Will, and I sighed.

"What's wrong?" Gavin asked after hearing my sigh. I was actually surprised he had even caught on to that, considering how self-involved I've found businessmen to be. Gavin seems to always be the exception to what I have stereotyped businessmen, or even men in general, to be. It is quite refreshing.

"It can just be...hard, to go back to that sometimes," I said honestly. I was subtlety referring to Will, but he doesn't know that.

"What, is your family a pain in the ass or something?"

I chuckled, "No, they're fine."

"Then what?"

I shrugged, "It's just hard to return to something after leaving it for so long."