Chap. 38

My eyes immediately shoot wide open

My eyes immediately shoot wide open. "Ethan?!"

I turn around to give Julian a glimpse but he's already rushing his way to the ballroom with so much fury, a few people being abruptly pushed away in the process.

"Wait, Julian!" I yell, my heart racing so wildly. "Don't go in there!" I turn back around to look at Scarlett and run my hand down my hair in despondency. I don't want to go in there. I don't want my eyes to see what everyone else saw.

"Is he okay? Did someone already call an ambulance?" I ask Scarlett.

"I—I don't know," she cries, wiping tears off her face. "I heard someone yell that he was unconscious, I..." She sobs. "I couldn't even look at the car a second time because all I kept seeing was blood and smoke and his eyes deeply shut and I... How did it even happen? What was he doing?" She sobs once again, her hands shakily rising to meet her head. "I'm so scared, Ky."

My heart tightens as I pull her for a squeeze. "It's going to be okay. I'm sure someone already called an ambulance. Until then let's wait outside near the others, okay?"

"I want to go with him," she says, pulling away from me, her eyes intruding mine. "I need to stay with him, even though the sight of him in that state will hurt."

"But, Scar—"

"I have to," she says, using her nervous hands to dry tears off her face before taking a double breath.

"I know, but are you sure you'll be able to handle seeing him in that state again?"

She takes a glimpse around, watching the frightened groups of teens practically running in despair. She takes a deep breath, turning to face me and nodding. "I'll have to."

I sigh but decide to consider her preference and shortly after I offer her a tight and soothing hug, my eyes shutting firmly. "I'll go find Julian. Text us the address of the hospital once you get into the ambulance."

She nods, sniffling.

***

I look up at the round clock that's on the wall. It's almost 12 AM.

I have one of my arms around Scarlett's back and the other laying on Julian's lap, his hand caressing mine. We are all seated at metallic chairs in the waiting room, waiting impatiently for a doctor to come rushing to us with good news.

No one has informed us of anything.

"What is taking them so long?" Julian barks, his left leg bouncing up and down. It is now more than obvious that his anger is starting to get mixed with all the impatience and concern.

"I want to go find him..." Scarlett says in a soft tone, her eyes brimming with tears. "...hold his hand and tell him that everything will be fine."