| 27 |

THE IGNIS SOLDIER

THE IGNIS SOLDIER. That's what they called Brendon. The tortured, brainwashed, and newly trained assassin that was once Brendon is now known as the Ignis Soldier, but typically just Ignis.

The year was 1995 when Ignis received his first solo mission. All his other missions have been with a partner, they called his partner the Winter Soldier. But for some reason Ignis was going solo for this one.

He would never question, though. They tell him to do something, he'll do it. Questioning would probably lead to him getting hurt or killed. Ignis wasn't sure, and he didn't want to find out.

"Miles." Soldier. A man called in Latin, the language the commanders used to give him instructions. Whenever people spoke to him it was in Latin. He knew other languages, but so he would know he was being talked to, being addressed they spoke to him in Latin. He needed to respond if being spoke to in Latin, and he needed to respond in Latin. The one person who didn't speak to him in Latin was Winter. The two exchanged plans and conversations in English, because the guards didn't speak English. Though their usual form of communication was through their minds.

"Promptus ad propinquos meos." Ready to comply. Ignis responded.

"Eius missio est ad te occidere." Your mission is to kill her. The commander told him holding up a picture of a young girl with long brown hair and big brown doe eyes. Ignis nodded in response as he checked the knifes to make sure they were secure. Then he moved to the hand guns in the holsters on his thighs. Knowing the back up weapons were safe he looked to his commander awaiting the command to go. "Nunc." Now. His commander said. Ignis nodded in response as the back door of the truck was opened and he jumped out into the dark night.

His targets house wasn't far from his release position nor was it hard to find. It was a big mansion and most of the lights were still glowing despite the time of night. Breaking into the house wasn't much harder than finding it. Not only was it the fact that Ignis well trained in stealth or breaking into things, but also the fact that the back door was left unlocked.

He let a slight scoff go under his breath as he snuck into the house. He took a few steps in and stopped trying to listen for his target. After a few seconds he could hear music and a small voice singing to a song he didn't recognize.

"Oh sure, I'm sure, he's sure, He did his best, I mean he meant to be what he was not. The things he was are things which I forgot. He's a queen. I'm a queen!Where is my crown? I'm breaking down!"

Ignis was confused, this little girl was singing about breaking down? Why? Out of all things? He shaked his head trying to collect himself. Letting out a sigh he continued on to walk following the sound of the music. He soon realized the noise was from below him.

He quickly looked around for a door to lead him downstairs. That wasn't hard either, the door was wide open. He quickly made his way down, his footsteps not making a single noise, not even his own ears could hear them. He reached the bottom of the stairs and looked directly at the girl. She let out s scream right away and backed away.

"D-dad?" The girl asked. Ignis froze. That voice. It sounded familiar to him, it gave him s headache. "Dad?" The girl asked again. Brendon starred down at the girl and let out a shaky breath. He nodded softly only so the girl knew he responded. He couldn't remember the girl in the slightest way but her voice. Something about her voice. He cared about this girl. No, no, he loved this girl.

Jamison? Brendon thought staring at his daughter. The girl flinched as the voice echoed in her head.

H-how'd you do that? The girl asked.

I don't know. It's a long story.

Do we not have time?

No. I-I need you to do something, though. I'm going to come at you, I'll be choking you but I promise not hard. When I count off in our heads you need to knee me in the abdomen. I'll let go but you'll have to run. Run and don't come back for an hour. Don't tell anyone you saw me. Brendon explained.

Could I tell Tony?

Brendon thought for a second privately. Yes. But no one else.

Will you come back?

One day, hopefully. Brendon assured her. Ready?

Yes. She responded. With a split second of hesitation Brendon reached out for his daughters neck, his fingers barley squeezing down. He heated his hands slightly knowing it would do nothing.

Three. Brendon told her. Two. One.

Without hesitation Jamie kneed her father where told. Brendon moaned in pain and let go reaching to grab his stomach. Jamie pushed her father over and ran as he said.

Sorry! She cried in their minds. Brendon nodded his head telling her it was nothing. She nodded in response and continued running.

Brendon lifted his finger up to turn on coms. "Praeceptorem?" Commander? Brendon asked.

"Tibi perficiat munus tuum?" Did you complete your mission?

"Non in igne non afficit eam." No, the fire didn't effect her. Brendon replied. His hands shaking.

"Venite ad basis." Come back to base. His commander demanded.

"Ita, domine." Brendon responded. There was no response. Brendon let out a shaky sigh and made his way back to the base.

It was a long time before he remembered what happened that day.

~

Authors Note

~

the commander is Silas Pierce but ignis doesn't realize because he was never given a name of his commander. brendon doesn't remember him, he only remembers Jamie because their meeting sparked a series of memories that involved her.
hopefully that makes sense.

~