004 | the future

1942BRENDON,   Have you heard about Howard Stark's presentation at the Modern Marvels Pavilion? I'm going to it if you're willing to meet up finally

1942
BRENDON,
Have you heard about Howard Stark's presentation at the Modern Marvels Pavilion? I'm going to it if you're willing to meet up finally. I know I've been skeptical of meeting with you, but the expo tomorrow will be so crowded I'm okay with meeting.
Is your boyfriend Bucky back? Oh wait he's not your boyfriend I forgot about that.... Sorry. Maybe you two will be assigned to the same infantry. I heard that many homosexuals get away with it more in the army. I would 100% join the army to be around more men, but I'm stuck in my job position and I actually quite like it.
When your friend Bucky comes back I think you should definitely tell him that you enlisted as a nurse. Keeping secrets from each other will not strength your relationship. Even if you think it would be better to not tell him and possibly not be in the same infantry. Telling him now would be better than allowing him to get a message from the government that his friend (boyfriend) is dead.
Not that I'm saying your gonna die, but that's an option put there.
Anyway, write back soon so I know if I'm gonna meet you. Be honest with Bucky, I'm going to be really upset if you two don't date by the end of this war.
Sincerely,
HAWS

Brendon read through the letter again before pocketing it. He wrote back the other day soon after Haws gave him the letter. Non of their letters were sent through the mail. It was always tucked under the door. He was excited and slightly nervous to meet Haws. They have shared letters for the past six years and have gotten to know each other.

He continued to walk down the street, checking alleyways as he passed them. He was picking up Steve from the movie theatre. The two haven't been the best of friends lately. Steve couldn't enlist in the army because of his illnesses. His jealousy of Bucky and Brendon being able to enlist and get drafted radiated off of him.

Brendon ended up enlisting too, angering Steve even more. He didn't want to, but his father was harassing him more and more to enlist. 'Don't be a coward,' His father wrote. It hurt Brendon, the man only decided to contact him after six years just to tell him to do something.

Brendon tried making Steve feel better by telling him he wasn't actually fighting, he was putting his little experience of medical school to use and enlisted as a nurse. That didn't matter Steve, Brendon was still involved with the war. It bothered Steve more that Brendon was to be shipped out to England the next day.

As Brendon passed one of the alleyway's of the movie theatre he stopped in his tracks. Two men in the back of the alley, one looking small and scrawny, the other looking large and buff. Brendon ran in the alley and pulled the man's arm as he swung for a punch.

"Hey! Use a punching bag, not a human." Brendon shouted to the man. The man broke out of Brendon's grip and stumbled back before swinging at Brendon. Brendon dodged the punch easily. The man fell over disoriented. Brendon grabbed the man's arm and dragged him out of the alley. Brendon turned back to Steve and rubbed his hands together.