| 46 |

"I DON'T GET IT, DONNIE," BUCKY EXCLAIMED

"I DON'T GET IT, DONNIE," BUCKY EXCLAIMED. The two walked shoulder to shoulder down the street waiting for Steve. They were going to spend their first day out of high school at Coney Island for a celebration of freedom.

Brendon wished it would just be him and Bucky, but of course Steve was invited. He admired Bucky and Steve's friendship, it was like no other he has ever seen. And maybe that's why he's so bothered by it. Because the two are so close compared to Brendon and Bucky.

"Don't get what?" Brendon asked as they slowed to a stop on the street corner.

"Why you don't get along with Steve." Bucky answered. Brendon's thoughts froze and he hesitated to answer. It was as if Bucky was reading his mind.

"I get along with Steve." Brendon responded blankly. The two walked over to the wall of a building, the exact place they plan on meeting Steve.

"You don't like to get along with Steve." Bucky inquired. Brendon sighed, leaning back on the wall.

"You two are so close already. I missed out on years of your friendship and I feel out of place when around you and Steve." Brendon told Bucky. "Don't get me wrong I love Steve, I do but I won't ever reach the friendship you two have and I-I am jealous."

Bucky let out a loud belly laugh. "Donnie, you and I have somethin' Steve and I could never have."

Brendon nodded his head. "How's your ma?"

"Ma's fine." Bucky sighed. "Keeps askin' when I'll bring a dame home."

"Will you ever?"

"Maybe, I wanna make her happy, y'know?" Bucky sighed.

"Make your ma happy by playing with a dame's heart." Brendon stated. Bucky let out a sigh.

"Nah, that's to cruel. Maybe I'll pay someone to fake it." Bucky suggested.

"James," Brendon said slowly. Bucky pushed himself off the wall and looked at Brendon. "You barley have enough money for yourself."

Bucky let out a huff. He leaned back on the wall, "What do I do Donnie?"

Brendon didn't respond leaving the two in silence. Across the street he caught sight of two girls embracing each other and it hit him.

"Buck," Brendon whispered. "I know exactly what you can do."

Steve.

It was silent, but then: Steve.

That's all Bucky said. Steve. Steve found them. If Steve found them, then someone else had to have found them.

I'm tossing the emergency bag, get it and meet me. Bucky told Brendon as gun shots rang from above.

On it. Brendon thought, his heart skipping a few beats.

He looked up just as he saw the bag get tossed dow. He ran forward, catching the bag in his arms. Bucky communicated his movements to Brendon, letting the younger man know where he was. He examined the top of the buildings, ropes were hanging from the roof. On place he knew the police wouldn't look was the side road. His motorcycle was sitting peacefully on the street. He ran for the bike, jumping on it and starting it.

James I'm on my bike, jump to the building on the left and run off, the underpass is right there. I'll pick you up. Brendon informed Bucky. He was answered with a swift 'ok.' With that he drove off toward the spot.

THERE'S A MAN IN A CAT SUIT. Bucky shouted through their thoughts.

Brendon almost flew off his bike. However, he knew exactly who was wearing the suit. As he turned another corner, he instructed Bucky not to attack.

Brendon that's kind of hard when he's attacking me.

Oh. Brendon frowned.

The underpass came in sight just as Bucky dropped down. Brendon alerted Bucky of his position and sped up. Holding out his arm, Brendon waited for Bucky to grab on. Once Bucky's hand gripped his, he pulled Bucky up and the two continued under the underpass.

"The cat isn't too far behind." Bucky warned. Brendon nodded and looked behind, seeing a man in a black cat suit riding a police car. "Steve's in that car."

"Ok." Brendon muttered as he swerved away from police cars. Brendon glanced back again and saw Sam Wilson fly in, the black cat attacking himself to Sam's legs.

"Should I–"

"Do it." Brendon shouted, knowing exactly what Bucky wanted to do.

Without further hesitation Bucky tossed a bomb on the ceiling of the underpass. The two barley made it out before the cat jumped and clawed into the tire, sending Brendon tumbling off. Brendon instantly jumped up looking at Bucky on the ground. Steve jumped over and tackled the cat.

One step forward and a large cage fell over Brendon. Bucky had sat up at this point and looked in fear as Brendon was slowly getting consumed by water. Within a matter of seconds the large cage was filled with water, Brendon not having any air to breathe. In a panic he heated his hands up creating an explosion that broke the glass.

He fell to his knees in a coughing fit, unable to breathe. Bucky took a few steps but another thing dropped down on Brendon. A large hand cuff that electrocuted him upon locking.

A scream of terror and pain rang out throughout the underpass as the group was surrounded by police. Brendon's arms were burning from the electricity that still ran through the cuffs. Heating his hands up made it worse. These were meant to stop his power.

Hands cuffed his face and through blurry tears Brendon made out Bucky's face. Bucky caressed his cheek before looking down at the cuff.

"Stark." He whispered. Tony Stark made these cuffs.

"Anthony." Brendon answered, letting out a soft cry after. He tried to move into a more comfortable position, sending the cuffs into another burst of electricity.

This time it was so painful Brendon had no choice but to fall completely over, and curl up. He curled up and pulled on his hair, as if it would make the rest of the pain go away.

"Brendon stay still." Bucky mumbled. More words were whispered but they all became incoherent. Bucky's soft hands were removed from his back and shoulder. His vision was blurred.

Deeper into hell they went.