Chapter fourteen: Rumple

Start from the beginning

"Well, Storybrooke has it's own, little charms." Lily glanced at him, smiling and he returned it.

"Though I know it must seem quant compared to the big city." Regina added, looking around at the woods and the sorceress could hear the sadness in her voice that Henry would prefer New York to the place he'd actually grown up in.

"It's nice, actually." Henry piped up and Lillian glanced at him again frowning a little bit as Regina turned to her adoptive son with a small smile. "New York's great but there's so many people it can make you feel...

"Alone." Regina finished and Henry looked at her in surprise.

"Yeah." He agreed readily as we veered into the grass towards the water.

"Yeah, that's the best part of a small town." Regina began, moving her arm around. "Everybody, knows everybody. It's like..." she stopped before a smile slide onto her face and she looked towards Henry. "It's like a big family."

"A very big family." Lillian added, earning an annoyed glare from Regina at the reminder of the odd family tree they all had going. Technically, Lillian was now Henry's step-great-grandmother, as creepy as that sounded and his aunt by adoption as Gold was her Guardian in Storybrooke.

Henry didn't see the look she sent Lily and he nodded at her, smiling faintly at her words before he stopped at the edge of the bank, turning towards the two woman. "Can I tell you something?" He asked softly and Lillian could feel Regina's excitement.

"Sure." Regina encouraged with a smile.

"I don't think it was just the case that brought my mom to Storybrooke." Henry admitted quietly, like he was sharing a deep secret and a memory of their 'secret meetings' when he was a little boy hit the girl briefly before Regina's voice tugged her back to reality.

"Uh... What do you mean?"

"I think she wanted to get out of New York for a while." 

"W-why do you think that?" Regina managed out, looking nervous, though he didn't seem to notice.

"My mom's boyfriend-his name is Walsh." Ah, so that was the name of the flying monkey masquerading as a human. That still made Lillian feel sick and disturbed on so many levels. "He proposed to her."

"Oh." Was all Lily could muster, as this clearly was not the direction she expected.

"And two days later, she's taking me out of school for some job in Maine." His expression turned slightly puzzled, yet still serious. "She wouldn't take a job in Queens if it meant I'd miss school."

"What do you think happened?" Regina said, attempted to join the conversation.

"I don't know." He shrugged, looking slightly upset and puzzled now. "But I doubt we'd be here if she said yes."

"And how do you feel about it?" Regina asked after looking at him for several moments, her expression unreadable but her emotions basically screaming at me. "Did you like him, this...Walsh?"

"I like how happy he made her." Henry smiled warmly, softly. "Plus, it might be nice to have more than two place settings during the holidays." He joked lightly and Lillian smiled softly, remembering the few holidays she'd spent with him and Regina, though she'd enjoyed celebrating them with Rumple and Belle.

"I think one day, you'll have more family than you'll know what to do with." 

"You think so?" Henry asked, a small, hopeful smile spreading across his face and Regina nodded, smiling in return.

"I really do."

"David!" Lillian rushed out of Emma's care, sprinting towards the currently kneeling man and she reached down, pulling him to his feet as Emma reached us. "David, are you okay?"