Chapter Fifty-Seven

Rose

As I tread through the forest, my heart pounds inside my chest so loudly that it feels like it can be heard by others. In my head, I imagine all the possible scenarios that could happen once Eren sees me. My palms become sweaty and I wipe them on my pants. How will he react when he sees me? Will he be excited? Angry?

I come across the single iris, the link from this world to Raeger's spiritual one. I bend down to it and smile. "You know, I should be dead right now, but I'm too stubborn to die. Countless miracles have saved me from dying so I guess that means I'm needed to help, right?" The flower sways in the wind. "No, it's because you continue to look after me. You've always reassured me when I was doubting myself. I'm sure my parents are looking after me as well and are providing strength for me to keep fighting. Thank you, Raeger," 

I stand and continue my way towards the lake, breathing in and out to ease my nerves which works. Once I emerge from the forest, Eren sits at the edge of the lake with his back facing me. He stares longingly at something in front of him but I can't quite see it from my perspective. I shift to the side to see one of the blades we use in battle stuck in the ground pointing up vertically with a bouquet of flowers surrounding it. 

"Rose... Every day it becomes so hard to visit you like this, but I can't get myself to stop coming here," Eren says allowed. 

"Is this... My grave?"

Eren pulls a small box out of his pocket and opens it. "I was never one to do things like this. I didn't think I would fall in love so easily, but you really opened my eyes..." He breathes in sharply and his grip on the box tightens. "I wanted to give you this promise ring after the expedition. We swore to that we would stay by each other's side so I got this ring to ensure that promise. Honestly, this wasn't my sort of thing, but I thought you would enjoy it. I just don't know why I didn't give it to you beforehand... Now I regret it so much,"

I step towards him and softly speak up. "It's not too late, Eren,"

Eren shoots up from his position and frantically looks around. He spins around to face me, his eyes brimming with tears, wide in confusion. His breathing quickens and he drops the ring box, shaking his head. "No... N-no this isn't possible," He collapses to his knees, bringing his hands to press against his temples. "My mind is playing a cruel trick on me, this is physically impossible for you to be here--"

I run up to Eren and embrace him. "Eren, I'm really here," I back out of the hug and lift his chin up to look into my eyes which are slowly tearing up as well. "I'm alive, I wouldn't break my promise that easily,"

His hands shake as he brings them up to my face to hold and a smile is brought upon my lips once he realizes I'm here. Eren's breath hitches and he grits his teeth, tears falling down from his face. "R-Rose... I missed you so much!" He exclaims and rests his forehead against mine.

"I missed you too, Eren..."

Eren pulls me closer as our lips touch. He kisses me softly but passionately, holding onto me like he's scared that if he lets go, I'll slip away. After the kiss, he whispers, "I... I thought I lost you again,"

"To be honest, I thought I was done for in the woods but something like a miracle happened, leading me to you again,"

He picks up the ring box and opens it once more. "So you heard what I said about this," Eren softly smiles and looks up to me. "May I?"

I nod and he slips the ring onto my right ring finger. I hold my hand up to admire the new accessory. Two bands wrap around each other, like a rope. One made of rose gold and the other made of silver. "Do you have one? The promise isn't complete if you don't have one as well," I question. 

He digs into his pocket and pulls out a ring similar to mine but instead made with silver and black gold. "I originally meant to only get you a ring, but the lady selling me the rings insisted I get one for myself,"

"It's only right to do that," I put his ring on his right hand as well and hold his hand. "I promise to stay with you until the end... I love you, Eren,"

"And I love you, Rose."