Chapter Fifteen

Rose

The following week, my mother and I attend Raeger's funeral. His parents host it back in the Shiganshina District where the rest of their family lives as well, but they will continue to live in Wall Sina. Before they close his casket, I approach it one more time, longing and hurting to see him again. Raeger's blonde hair is combed neatly, draping over his forehead, his skin fair and pale.

I close my eyes and sharply breathe in. "Goodbye, Raeger," As I back away from the casket, someone shuts it and proceeds with the event.

We arrive at the cemetery where they have already prepared where he'll lie. His family assists in lowering him into the ground and I hold back my tears, clenching my hands together. My mother rests her hand on my shoulder, trying to comfort me. Once everything has finished, my mother starts to head home when she realizes I don't follow behind.

"Rose, are you coming?"

"I just need some time to myself for a little bit..." I reply

"... Okay, just be home soon, alright?" I nod and she continues on her way.

I begin to walk toward the forest when Raeger's parents stop me. "Rose, do you have a second, dear?" I pause and nod. "Before you came to our home in Wall Sina, Raeger wrote a letter to you. Please take it," His mother hands me a perfectly sealed envelope.

"Thank you, take care now," I respond and take my leave.

I tread slowly through the wood, reminiscing every moment we had here. "It hurts to cling onto him... But I can't forget him either,"

I exit the forest, arriving at the cliff where we would always meet. A single iris grows in the spot where he sat last and I sit beside it letting my feet dangle over the edge. With great caution, I open the envelope to ensure it doesn't rip and take out the letter.

"Dear Rose,

I'm sorry for not writing to you sooner. As I write this, the doctors have continued their tests and they seem close to finding out my illness. The thing is, I keep feeling worse every single day. I'm clinging on, but it hurts. I want to live... I don't want to die. Is anyone really ready to die?

The past couple of years, I've been a coward. I couldn't tell you my feelings because I didn't know how you would react but that's no excuse. I'm sorry for telling you at such a time where everything seems so unexpected, I'm bad at these types of things.

As much as I hate to say this, if I don't make it, please promise me that you'll be strong without me. I know you doubt yourself a lot, but I know you have the power in you to overcome that doubt. Be strong in this cruel world; fight against the troubles and win. Do it for me and even more, yourself. I believe in you, Rose. I always have.

I love you.

     - Raeger"

I clench the paper, wrinkling it as tears flow from my eyes onto the paper, blotching the ink. Sniffling, I shout, "I miss you so much!!" While burying my face into my knees.

A warm gust of wind blows past, causing me to lift my head. The sunset blinds me and I cover my eyes from the sun, averting my gaze to the iris beside me. My eyes widen as the flower sways in the wind, the color a vibrant violet as the sun shines on it. I breathe out and weakly smile.

"You'll always be there for me... Thank you, Raeger. Rest easy now."