Chapter Fifty-Four

Rose

The smell of herbal tea and eggs brings me to consciousness as I wake up. Sorn and my sister have already set the table and Rose is pouring the tea for us.

"Oh, Rose, you're awake now. Breakfast is ready, help yourself," My sister wipes her hands on her pants and sits next to Sorn who has started eating already.

"Morning, Auntie Rose!" Sorn cheerfully greets with a full mouth.

"Don't talk while you're eating," Rose says and brushes crumbs off of Sorn's face.

"Hey, Rose? Is there a different name that you go by? It feels a little weird to call each other with the same name," I inquire.

"Yeah, you're right. Mom and dad used to call me by my full name so you can do that too,"

"Okay, then I'll call you Rosalina from now on,"

We dig into breakfast and afterwards, I help clean up the kitchen and table. As the day goes on, Sorn and I play together and I tell her stories about the outside.

"Hey, what's that on your cape?" Sorn points at the emerald cloak with wings embroidered on the back on the chair next to the bed that I sleep on.

"Those are called the Wings of Freedom. I'm a part of a special group that gets rid of Titans so that we don't have to live in fear anymore. I guess you can say that they help us fly away from our troubles," I reply.

"Wow, really?! That's so cool! Can you actually fly?!!" Sorn questions with excitement filling her voice.

I chuckle to myself. "Not really, that would be cool though. Instead, we have these things called omnidirectional gear that makes it feel like you're flying,"

"Woah, I wanna try that someday!" She cheers but then her expression becomes serious. "Uh, can I ask you something?"

I nod. "Of course, what is it?"

She looks around for a second and then speaks up. "Do you know my dad?"

My eyes widen and I freeze for a moment. "Uhm, your dad?" Levi's face flashes in my mind and I hesitate to tell her. "Why?"

"Mama won't tell me anything about him. I just wanna know something about him if I never get to leave this place..." Her voice drifts away and my heart aches for her.

"I... I do know him," I finally respond.

She immediately perks up. "You do? What's he like??"

I ponder to myself for a moment; if this is the first thing she's ever hearing about Levi, it has to be good. "Well, he's extremely strong and brave. His strength is beyond your imagination. When you first meet him, he might seem cold but once you get to know him, you'll see that he actually cares a lot,"

Sorn smiles widely. "I really hope I can meet him one day,"

"I hope you can too..."

Sorn then yawns and rubs her eyes. "Come on, time for your nap, Sorn," Rosalina's voice unexpectedly fills the room and I jump a little. My sister stands in the entranceway for the stairs with her arms crossed, a stern expression plastered on her face.

"Oh, okay, mama," Sorn says and follows Rosalina up the stairs to her room.

After a couple minutes pass, Rosalina returns and walks towards me. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't know you never told her about Levi or not, I shouldn't have--"

"No, don't worry about it. She would've found out sooner or later. Moving on though, we need to start thinking of our escape plan."

"I don't have a solid plan yet but you know how Titans don't function at night?"