Chapter Thirty-Seven

Rose

After a while, Josef leaves the room and I remain in bed, looking out the window. It's only been two days but it feels like it's been so long since everything occurred. I wasn't even there to see the result of the mission, I hope everyone is alright...

The door creaks open and I direct my attention to it. "Feeling better?"

My eyes widen at the boy who stands in the doorway. "Archer? You're alright!" I exclaim. However, my smile fades when I see him stand alone. "Did Noah not make it...?"

Footsteps approach the door and enter into the room. The mahogany haired boy walks in, smirking at me. "I'm not going down that easily," Noah comments.

"I'm so glad you're both alright!" My heart becomes light again at the sight of the two. "I know our past has been difficult, but I was hoping to set aside our problems and maybe become friends," I suggest.

"Wait, so you forgive us?" Archer asks.

"In a way, yes, but I won't dismiss what happened back then,"

"Then, by all means, we want to make amends and become friends as well," Noah replies. They pull up chairs and sit by me, all of us leisurely chatting with one another. Finally, after so many years, I start to see them as people and not predators. I hope that they really have changed for the better. An hour later, they leave the room and I bid them goodbye, all of us now on good terms.

A moment later, Hanji enters and sits at the foot of my bed with a clipboard in hand. "Now that you're awake, I want to interview you just to make sure there isn't any memory loss and then I'll compare it to your documents. May I ask you some questions?" I nod in reply and she takes a pencil from behind her ear into her hand, prepared to record my responses. "What's your full name?"

"Rosalina Wesler,"

"What district are you from?"

"The Shiganshina District,"

"When is your date of birth?"

"May 5th, 833," She slightly frowns at my response and scribbles my response down.

After her interrogation, she thanks me for my cooperation and then leaves. The room begins to darken as the sun sets, fading to night and I lie back in bed, closing my eyes to rest once more.

Third

Hanji steps out into the night as she exits headquarters, the cool breeze rushing past her as she goes out. Levi leans against the wall, awaiting Hanji's arrival. Once she approaches him, she informs him with sorrow, "It's not her... Her documents and her answers to me are accurate with each other,"

He takes the clipboard from her hands and scans over the paper. In frustration, he snaps the clipboard in half over his knee, ripping the paper along with it. "Dammit!" He shouts, throwing it to the ground.

Hanji remains silent at the sight of Levi and frowns. "Why did she leave us... Rose, you were truly the light in Levi's life. What made you run away?"

Rose

The sudden commotion from the outside wakes me up, disturbing the silent night. I rush to the window and open the window to see what happened. A floor below me, Hanji and Levi stand near a couple of feet away from my room.

Hanji notices my presence and jumps a bit. "Oh! Rose, shouldn't you be resting?"

"I've been asleep for two days so I'm fine. Is everything alright?" I inquire.

"Uh, yeah... Everything's fine..." Hanji glances over at Levi which makes me do the same but he averts his attention away from me to avoid eye contact. "Do you remember Levi at all?"

Puzzled, I reply saying, "No, I'm sorry, have we met before?"

"Hanji, I can't handle it anymore. You can stop now," Levi struggles to say before leaving us.

Hanji sighs and picks up the pieces of the broken clipboard that she held when interviewing me. "I-I'm sorry if I said anything wrong," I stutter.

She shakes her head. "It's not your fault, Rose. It's complicated but you have the same face and name as the woman he once loved... We believed that you were her and he was so happy to see you after five years, but it turns out we were wrong. Now we just have to accept that fact, even though it hurts."