Chapter Fifty-Two

Rose

"Mama, I think she's waking up!!" A girl's voice chirps.

"Huh?" I slowly flutter my eyes open and stare up at a dark ceiling. "Where am I?" I turn my head to the side and see a young girl standing next to me. Her silver eyes sparkle with joy as I face her and her lips form a wide smile.

"Sorn, I need to talk to her for a second, can you go upstairs?" A person clothed in a hood speaks up, startling me. They sit at a table in the center of the room with their back facing me.

"Mhm!" The young girl skips upstairs, leaving the strange person and me alone.

"Is this the person I kept seeing in the forest?" I ask myself. "Who are you? Were you the one that kept stalking my squad in the woods?" I try to prop myself up but my body aches.

The person stands up and walks over to me. "It's better that you don't move for the time being. Even though you can regenerate, you suffered critical injuries. You're lucky I found you,"

"... How do you know I can regenerate?"

"Because we're the same," The person takes off their hood, revealing their identity. My jaw drops and my heart stops as I stare at them in utter confusion.

"Y-y-you have the same face as me?!!" I exclaim in pure shock. The woman looks a little rough and slightly older but our hair and facial structures are the same; It's almost like looking in a mirror. Her violet eyes seem colder and darker than mine and Josef's like she's seen unspeakable things.

"My name's Rose; What do they call you?" She questions, ignoring my shocked reaction.

As she introduces herself, my mind flashes back to when I found the strange birth certificate in my mom's room. My eyes practically pop out of my head and I stammer to formulate a sentence. "What?! But, t-t-that means that you're the other Rose that everyone's talked about!!" I scrutinize her face for a moment. "Wait! Everyone thinks you're dead! Does that mean I'm dead too?! Raeger was wrong--"

"Calm down, alright! Jeez, I thought you'd be a little quieter after going through so much. I'm not dead and you aren't either," The other Rose reassures me, sighs, and then leans on the wall. "I'll tell you everything after you state your name. Now, what's your name?"

"Rosalina Wesler but most people call me Rose," I answer.

"Wesler...? What a small world..." She chuckles to herself. "We have the exact same name kid,"

"Then, are your parents Charlotte and Engel Wesler?" I ask to confirm my suspicion.

In a somber tone, she replies saying, "Yeah, they are. Did they not tell you about me? I don't know why I'm asking, of course, they didn't tell you..."

"When I was a child, I found a birth certificate in mom's room hidden in a box. I thought it was mine but the birthdate wasn't right at all. I never asked because I didn't want to get in trouble but you're here! I never thought I would find out!"

"Speaking of mom, how is she? Josef too, how are they?" She eagerly asks.

I look down at my hands. "Mom died when the Shiganshina District fell. Josef's alive though,"

She sharply breathes in. "Oh... I see..." She turns away from me for a moment and I can hear her sniffling. I try to reach out to her but my strength is still gone.

"Mama...? Are you okay?" The girl from before stands at the bottom of the steps across the room and walks over to the other Rose. She tugs on Rose's sleeve, making her look down.