Chapter Four

Rose

The survivors of the attack from Shiganshina are scattered in various areas across Wall Maria, currently staying in buildings to house them until they can find a place of their own. This morning, I woke up to Armin tapping my shoulder to wake me for breakfast, but I fell back asleep once he left. As I wake up again, the morning sun shines brightly in the room where we all sleep in, filling the room with light. I rub my eyes and yawn, trying to wake myself up. I scan the area, noticing that everyone has left except for one person who sits underneath the window.

I get up and walk over to the brunette boy and squat next to him. "Hey, we should get going now," I say. Eren ignores me and continues to stare at the key around his neck. "Eren, come on," I repeat myself.

"Go away, you don't even know me." The callousness in his voice makes me scoff and I squint at him.

"Look, you aren't the only one who's lost people, okay? We all have and we all have to accept it," I pause, am I really saying this? But I continue, "My dad was a fighter who lost to the Titans, my mom was just an innocent woman who was a victim of the wall's debris, my brother... hell, I don't even know if he's alive because he's fighting to reclaim the walls," I pause and inhale sharply. "And my best friend, who I made a promise to..." Eren now looks at me in disbelief. "I'm not undermining your loss, I understand how it feels to lose your mother. But, would she want you to dismiss others that are trying to be here for you? I'm guessing no," I stand up and reach my hand out to Eren. "We have to move on, for their sake and to protect our future, we can't let it face any more damage than it has already,"

Eren sighs and looks up to me. "You said your name is Rose, right?" I nod. "You're that girl that I met that day... At first, when I saw you, I thought you were ordinary and simple-minded,"

Taken aback and offended, I scrunch my face. "Hey!"

"But," He proceeds, "You're different than what I thought you would be. You're outspoken and brave, willing to stand up for yourself and have the ability to move forward,"

I cross my arms and look out the window. "If anything, I'm a coward. I talk big but have no bite, sometimes the talk isn't even there," I chuckle. "But, if I want to overcome the Titans, I need to have more confidence in myself."

"You... You want to defeat the Titans too?" He inquires.

"Yes. My dad would always tell me stories of his battles with Titans and the outside that saw during his expeditions until he was killed... However, I want to experience the air of beyond the walls as well, I want to free everyone from this cage,"

"You and me both, Rose," Eren rises to his feet and smirks at me. "You and me both."

• • •

This chapter COMPLETELY changed whoops it was a mess before