Chapter Eighteen

Rose

The graduation ceremony finally arrives and we all gather in town to celebrate. As the commander announces our final ranks in the class, a wave of nervous anticipation comes over everyone.

"Ranking 6th, Rose Wesler of the Shiganshina District," Shocked at first, I walk to the front and hold my fist to my heart next to the others. As I stand on the stage, I smile once I think about Raeger.

"Fight against the troubles and win." The words he wrote in his letter appear in my mind, his voice reciting the phrase. "I will fight against them and prevail, just watch me, Raeger."

Once the ceremony ends, the after-party commences. We all eat to our heart's desire, speaking of the future and what's yet to come.

"Rose!! Are you still joining the scouts?" Sasha asks on the verge of tears knowing what my answer will be.

"Of course,"

She wails and her head drops to the table. "That means we can't be roommates anymore!!"

"You're really going to the scouts?" Conny inquires.

"That's always been my plan, so I'm going through with it. Conny, if you're going to the police, make sure to keep Sasha in check for me," I joke.

Sasha continues to cry as Connie tries to calm her down while also panicking when Jean passes by me. "Congrats, I guess." He says after stopping for a moment.

"Thanks...? You too," I respond. Why'd he say it so coldly?

"Tch, but I got lower than you," He notes while furrowing his brow.

"In the end, you can still join the police, cheers to that," I raise my glass to his cup.

He hesitates for a moment and then clinks his cup to mine. "Cheers to that,"

I spot Mikasa and Armin walking back into the building and they come up to me. "Congrats on getting in the top ten!!" Armin congratulates.

"I think the one with the most impressive mark is our Mikasa, you really are great for getting first," I say to the raven-haired girl.

"We all worked hard, we just have different strengths and backgrounds," Mikasa bluntly states.

"By the way, where's Eren?" I ask.

"He's outside if you wanna talk to him. Mikasa and I were hungry so that's why we came in," Armin answers.

"Ah okay, thanks!" I wave them goodbye and head out. Eren sits on the steps near the outside of the building, staring off into the night sky. "Do you mind if I join you?" I ask.

He looks up to me, slightly startled, and nods. "Sure,"

I take a seat next to him. "The day has finally come, huh," I remark. "Do you feel nervous at all?"

"No, this is what I always wanted. Why, are you second-guessing now that you have the option to stay here?"

I fiddle with my fingers. "I mean, I am nervous... I'm really doing what I've said I always would, but the thought of dying is weighing down on my mind," I hunch my back, leaning over my knees while hugging them.

"Well, just think of something different then. You said that your dad was the reason why you wanted to go out, just remember him," Eren suggests.

"Yeah..." Along with my dad, Raeger appears in my mind and I sigh.

"Are you okay?" Eren inquires at my expression.

"Oh yeah, it's just that..." I look into his soft turquoise eyes, compelling me to tell him what's on my mind. "When I was younger, I had a friend that inspired me to join the scouts too. We actually wanted to be in the same training camp,"

"Did she already graduate or is she joining in the next class?"

"He," I correct him. "And he died from an illness a long time ago."

"I-I'm sorry," Eren apologizes.

"Don't worry about it, it's okay," Eren rubs the back of his neck, probably regretting asking about him. "You know, he was a lot like you,"

"Really? How so?"

"He was brave and always thought of others before himself, he was truly selfless and tried to improve his own strength to avoid weakness,"

"Sounds like a nice guy,"

"He was..." We sit in silence for a moment, looking at the stars.

"... We'll avenge them; our parents and your friend. We'll stay alive, you hear?" Eren then speaks up.

I look at him, smirking and nodding. "Mhm, we will."