Chapter Thirteen - Without Brakes

Începe de la început

"Bryce..." I murmured

"It's the truth" He shrugged.

Isla looped her arm in mine and we walked in through the main door. The bar hadn't changed since we'd been last. It really had been a long time though. Months. The black walls were adorned with pictures of famous singers who had performed in the bar at one time or another. It had a old school type feel to it, the tables were mismatched antiques, but each one fit perfectly with the atmosphere. It was like 1920's had met an underground club and they'd had a baby, That baby being this club.

It was kind of empty tonight, just the regulars sprinkled the tables, and June, a 50 year old grandmother was up on stage singing a Whitney Houston song.

"Scarlett!! darling" George, the campest, yet loveliest man I'd ever met ran toward me like I was the ribbon at the end of a race. "Isla!" he continued

"George!" I smiled as I wrapped my arms around him.

"It's been a long time pet! It's 90's night tonight! Pull up a pew, I'll bring you two some drinks. Pick out a song!" He exclaimed as he pulled away from the hug moved me toward a table.

"Okay"

"Just a juice for me please George, I'm driving" Isla said as George began to walk away.

"Vodka and orange for you Scar?"

"Yes please."

George walked away and Isla slid the tablet with the song choices over to me, I scrolled through the list, they'd segregated the 90's play-list from everything else. I smiled as I moved through, I may have been born in the 2010's but the 80's and 90's was where my soul lay. My music collection at home had large amounts of Bon jovi, Queen, Aerosmith and Bryan Adams.

Aerosmith! I scrolled through and found Crazy. It explained how I felt exactly. Even though I'd planned to forget about Xavier, at least for tonight, he was never really that far from my mind. I ticked the song, wrote my name and placed the tablet back down

Isla looked up at the board and smiled. "Aerosmith? Girls feeling strong tonight!"

"The lyrics Isla, just listen to the lyrics" I laughed. "So uh, you never said why you'd sort of changed your tune on Xavier"

Isla shrugged and turned to face the door. She looked back and then smiled.

"I think I had everything back to front. Xavier is a doofus when It comes to you, but I don't think he wants to hurt you"

"No."

"But Noah, the way he turned on you when you wouldn't go with him. It sparked something in me. Flicked a switch. He doesn't seem like the nice guy I thought he was."

Noah was a little protective of me, but he didn't really seem bad.

George returned with our drinks. Then left to serve some new customers. After two more singers it was my turn. Isla cheered me on as I walked up to the stage. I picked up the mic and waited for the music to start.

As soon as I began singing everything else filtered away. I was there in my own world and no one else mattered. The lyrics burned my heart though, and images of Xavier flickered through me every time I closed my eyes. I felt the words, I actually felt them. I could feel myself beginning to unravel.

When the song ended I walked back down to Isla. A hard knot of raw emotion was stuck in my throat and I needed cool off.

"I'm going to the bathroom, I'll be back okay" I choked out. Isla tilted her head and gave me a reassuring smile. I didn't smile back, I couldn't.