32: so close but not enough

Start from the beginning

I glanced at the Manila folder in Elias' hands. "What is that?" I couldn't help but ask. It was the same folder I seen a few nights ago and he was reading it on the plane.

His eyes barely glanced up before glancing back down. "Don't worry about it."

I scoffed, annoyed with him. What was he hiding? I scanned around his belongings scattered on the table beside him to find a suitcase with other papers and stuff around it. I picked one up, glancing at it. Before I could read it, he snatched it from my hands.
I glared at him. Fine then. I quickly snatched a newspaper off of the table and read through it. "What are you doing?" He asks, sighing frustratedly.

"Don't worry about it," I mocked him, satisfied when his annoyed expression turned into a intense glare.

I almost backed down and apologized, scared he would explode like a ticking bomb but wouldn't give the satisfaction so soon. He growled before roughly snatching the magazine from my hands.

Olivia and Leon turned to us with amused grins. "Hey guys, look at this," Olivia suggests towards the tv. Neither Elias or I broke our eye contact.

"What are you hiding?" I crossed my arms.

"Why do you need to know? It has nothing to do with you," he sighed exasperatedly.

"Seriously Elias, you're always hiding something from me. Is there a reason why you've been looking at the same folder for the past few days?"

He growled. "You're getting a little too brave sweetheart. I suggest you shut it before I make you."

I opened my mouth to bite back until Natalia chimes in. "Okayyyy I think it's time for drinks, yes?" She turns to everyone, trying to break the awkwardness. "Who wants what?" If anything is going to break the tension here, it's drinks that are hopefully filled with alcohol.

"Ooh mimosas for me and Leon please," Olivia nods, "Elias and Johnathon, do you want one?"

"No," Elias grumbles, not breaking eye contact.

"I think I'll take a whiskey," Johnathon smirks, sitting across the room looking satisfied than before.

I bite my lip to keep the pain from showing. Of course he was pleased, this was what he wanted after all, seeing me and Elias fighting with each other. I spin around and walk towards the bar. Natalia arches a brow, smiling. "What about you? You want a drink?" She asks me. I force myself not to look at Johnathon, not to show him the tears building in my eyes. I think he knows I might break down if I so much look at Elias and he's probably right.

"I don't know," I shrug. I felt Elias' stare the moment she asked.

"Okay," she smirks, "how about I make you a special. I'm thinking a bikini martini?" She shakes an orange drink in her hands, smiling suggestively.

"I gues-"

"No," Elias says.

"What's wrong with her having a drink? She can have a drink like everyone else," Natalia defends. She finished the fresh mimosas with a sliced orange on the rim.

"I said no and I mean it," he demands, glaring at her.

"Seriously you must know your dick belongs in your pants, not your personality," she rolls her eyes and hands the drinks to me. "Be a doll and give Olivia and Leon these." I nod and grab them careful not to drop the wine glasses on the floor. Leon thankfully helps and grabs them from me. "Oh, thanks," I smile, handing them off to him.