Moving Out But Not Moving On

Willow's POV

Okay, that's it, I have to talk to Faith.

I walk down the hall to Tara's room, carrying with me the last of my stuff to be moved in.

It's been three days since Buffy found out she was being kicked out of University and she's been a wreck ever since. She may have taken the bandages off, but we could all tell she is still torn up inside. Faith hasn't called or come by at all to see how Buffy was doing after the big Adam showdown. What kind of person does that? What kind of person doesn't even call to check up on someone they claim to care about?

Buffy's trying to act like it doesn't matter, like she doesn't notice Faith's apparent lack of interest in her well being, but she does. She's devastated. She's just putting on a brave face.

I walk up to Tara's door and go inside. I start to look for a place to put my boxes down.

It wasn't until we were loading the last of her stuff in the truck that I realized that Buffy wasn't getting over Faith and probably never would, not completely.

I was coming back to our former dorm room to see if we had left anything and I found Buffy sitting on her former bed, caressing the mattress gently and looking around the room. I approached her cautiously, noticing the tears in her eyes.

"Buffy?"

She sniffles and looks at me.

"She loved me here you know? She didn't say it in so many words, but she did. I know she did. And I loved her back. I still love her back."

I sat down next to her on the bed.

"Buffy..."

"We were happy here. We didn't know it at the time, but we were."

She wrapped her arms around me as the tears start to pour.

"We were happy here. We were happy once... and now I have to leave it all behind. The way Faith left me behind."

And that's when it hit me. That's when I knew there was only one thing I could do to help her, there was only one person who can make Buffy okay again.

I put my arms around her.

"Maybe you should go see her. Tell her you're sorry. Tell her what's happening, I'm sure she'd feel bad for not being there for that."

She pulls away, drying her eyes and composing herself.

"No I... I don't want to guilt her into being with me. She'd only end up hating me for it later on. I don't wanna do that to her."

"Okay."

Then she got up and started to look around the room, the tears still evident in her eyes.

"Well, it looks like we got everything doesn't it?"

I looked around the empty room.

"Yeah, I guess we did."

"All right, let's go then."

I got up and she started to leave.

"Buffy?"

"You know, I think I'm gonna go scope out the Bronze tonight. Maybe see if there are a few vamps I can pound on for a while."

"Buffy..."

"Yeah... that sounds like fun."

Then she left and I eventually followed her. Ever since then all I could think about was moving everything in so I could go talk to Faith. I nearly dropped a bunch of boxes when we moved Buffy in I was so distracted.

I finally find a place to put the last of my stuff and Tara comes in.

"Hey baby, is that the last of it?"

"I-I think so. Mr. Giles said he'd take Xander and Anya h-home before he took the truck back."

"Good."

I put my arms around her waist.

"How was Buffy?"

She gets this sad look on her face.

"Hurting... but that's to b-be expected."

That's gonna change.

"Well I think she'll be feeling better soon."

"I don't know, I... I don't see how."

"Well, if I can convince Faith to forgive her, I bet her mood will change."

She all but jumps into my arms in joy.

"Really? Y-you mean it?"

"Yeah... you were right Tara. Buffy isn't gonna be okay unless Faith makes her that way, and the only way for that to happen is they have to be together."

She kisses me.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

She kisses me a little more passionately.

"I may not be their biggest fan, but I'll learn to live with it. For Buffy's sake."

"What made you change your mind?"

"Buffy, actually."

"W-What?"

"Well it's, it's kinda hard to explain but... I saw what she's been going through the past couple days and, well I want to help her."

"When?"

When?

"When what?"

"When are you gonna g-go talk to her?"

"Well, I thought, you know, now might be a good time. Now is as good a time as any right?"

"Yeah, right..."

She steps back and smiles.

"You s-should go."

"I don't have to."

"No, it... Buffy will thank you for it."

I let go of Tara.

"You're right, we'll celebrate moving in together later."

"Okay."

I kiss her gently before leaving.

"I'll be back."