The Unknown

Xander's POV

"YOU BITCH!"

What the hell?

She starts running. She steps up on the couch and uses it as a springboard to jump at Buffy. Buffy flips her backwards and she lands next to me. Buffy gets up and squares off.

"Not this again."

Again? This happened before?

Faith gets up and I back off a few steps. She charges at Buffy again and Buffy hits her with a right cross.

What do I do? Should I get involved?

Faith responds with a left jab to Buffy's stomach.

Buffy said she's dealt with this before. I'll let her deal with this unless Faith gets the upper hand.

Buffy throws a left hook and follows with a roundhouse kick which sends Faith to the ground.

I guess Buffy has everything under control.

Faith turns over and kicks Buffy's legs out from under her.

Okay maybe not.

Faith climbs on top of her and puts her hands around Buffy's neck. Buffy starts to choke.

Oh crap.

Giles and I both rush to stop her but I get there first. I grab Faith and pull her off Buffy. She tries to get out of my grip but I hold firm.

I'm holding a slayer back? How is that possible?

After a few tries, she stops, falls to the ground and starts shaking. Buffy coughs a bit as she sits up.

"Buffy what the hell was that?"

"Is Faith okay?"

Faith?

"Is Faith okay? Buffy she just tried to kill you and you wanna know how Faith is doing? What the hell is going on?"

Buffy gets up and rubs her neck.

"There's something wrong with Faith."

"Uh, what was your first clue?"

I'm pretty sure killing someone isn't a good omen.

"Xander..."

"Buffy Xander is correct. We may have to consider killing her. This can't be normal behavior for Forgotten Conscience."

"I know. Wesley thought so too. He examined her when she did the same in L.A. and he's convinced she's been pumped full of drugs."

Drugs?

"She's been taking drugs?"

"No... Faith was a lot of things, but a drug addict? Never."

I have to agree there.

"Whether or not she's been taking drugs, she's clearly a threat. Whatever these drugs are, they are obviously making her more violent."

"More violent than she used to be?"

"Xander, look, it's not as simple as all that. She may not have been taking the drugs, but obviously someone was forcing her to take them."

"You think whoever wants her dead is the one who's been making her act this way?"

"I don't think it's a coincidence that this army pops up just after she comes out of her coma. We at least have to keep her around until we figure out what they've done to her."

I look over at Faith, who's still shaking. She's rolled herself into the fetal position.

This is definitely not the normal Faith. It could be there to kill her.

"What if whatever she's been pumped full of is supposed to kill her?"

"Then we'll just have to get it out of her system."

"How?"

"I dunno... maybe these freak outs she has is how she gets it out of her system."

"Yeah and while she gets it out of her system one of us may wind up dead."

"Where is she gonna stay? None of us are safe if she goes off again."

"She'll stay with me. I'll take her back to the dorm with me."

Whoa, wait a second.

"Buffy you can't do that. Whatever has been done to her obviously happens when she gets stressed out. With your history..."

"Buffy she just got the best of you. What if she remembers something you did to her? Next time she could kill you."

"Look, this isn't open for discussion. I'm the only one with the power to stop her if she does go berserk. I'm taking her home with me."

"And when she tries to kill you?"

"Like I said... I'll deal with her."

"Will you be willing to kill her?"

"I will if I have to. I just don't want to have to."

"Good. She may be better off dead anyway."

"Xander you can't be serious."

"He's right Buffy."

"What?"

"Buffy, no slayer has ever survived long enough to regain their memory."

None of them survived?

"Well this time is different."

"Why? What's different about this time?"

"She has us."